Thread: Just for Fun

Default Just for Fun

Last night I felt the creative urge to practice. Sometimes it pays dividends to stretch. For example I wanted a decorative letter style for Lions Rest. While I had a general idea of what would look nice it took a search for just the right font. As we all know Pub Signs have historic scrolls and I'm not too proud of these. But maybe next time.

When last across the pond I visited a pub with the title "Slug and Lettuce" and wanted to make a sign with a big worm on it. Then there was a dinner named "Mussel INN". That was in Scotland. Obvious wha they were serving.

You can imagine dozens of techniques in making this panel and that's the fun. Every technique known to man could be employed.

Attached Images Attached Images

This evening I've up dated the panel to a little more sophisticated look. For those of you who haven't seen signs like these, they aren't all the dimensional. The sign artist needed to make panels that were relative quick and didn't cost too much. So most of the design work was done with a brush on a flat panel. The better panels were made from wood planks and coated out with lots and lots of topcoats. The net effect was a glass smooth background which is a good for hand lettering.

On a board like this they might have the Lion panel raised and all else flat. Today with our CNC's there's almost no limit with what can be done. But it all starts with the artwork.

I've been thinking about a Hooks Bar panel with lots of colors and a Dream of Gennie gal. Something like that.

Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks Joe! Always nice to get an insight into the way you work!
    Ken Zey
    Lookout Mercantile / Digital Millwork
    Rogers, AR
    www.CedarSlabSigns.com
    www.lookoutmercantile.com
    www.digitalmillwork.com

6x12 PRS alpha