Thread: Spindle Speed Control Issues

Default Spindle Speed Control Issues

Hey Guys,

I recently noticed when running files that the spindle speed does not change to what is set in the cut files. It stays at 12000 RPM no matter what I put in the file. I haven't touched anything on the spindle control box at all since I purchased the ShopBot and haven't messed with any settings in the software either. I'm running the 2.2hp HSD 1073 on my Buddy PRSAlpha. Am I missing something really obvious? Is there some reason the spindle would run at a locked speed even when a file is telling it to do different? Thanks in advance guys.
    + Keep it Positive +
    | Buddy BT48-12 |
    | 2.2 HP Spindle |
    | Aspire v. 4.015 |
    | Digitizing Probe |
    | Drag Knife |
    | Engraver |
    http://www.plus-skateboards.com

The speed is set when you select the tool. Does it change when you change tools? Why would you change speeds if you are not changing tools?

Have you enabled the speed control?
    Does the Speed control pop up show on the screen?
    Are the parameters set as per the manual?
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com
    Servo Controller Upgrades
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1

"We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them"
    Albert Einstein

Dear Carlson

I'm with Garry, if you enable the speed control you can see exactly what's going on.

RPM Control
    RPM Control.jpg
    and Speed Control
    Speed Control.png

Also, what post processor are you using? Not all 'Shopbot' post processors access the speed controller, can I suggest you try "Shopbot (arcs)(MM)(w/speed)(*.sbp)"

and finally, is there a flashing 'error' on the speed contoller?

I watch with interest to see if you get to the bottom of this.

Sincerely and in good faith
    Martin Reid

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Reid View Post

Also, what post processor are you using? Not all 'Shopbot' post processors access the speed controller, can I suggest you try "Shopbot (arcs)(MM)(w/speed)(*.sbp)"

and finally, is there a flashing 'error' on the speed contoller?

Nailed it Martin! Thank you so much. I must have selected the wrong post processor somehow last time I did shape/size files for decks. I just noticed it on this new batch and realized that the speed wasn't at the actual speed specified in the file. Just checked and changed it from "Arcs" to "Arcs w/speed" again. Went out to the shop quick and did an air cut on a board size, spindle started up to the proper speed right away.

It's always the little things and I am still pretty new (less than 5 years) on the Bot so I don't check all the problem areas. You guys rule, sorry for the delayed response, had a crazy weekend at the day job. I really appreciate your responses Tom, Gary and Martin, thanks again!!
    + Keep it Positive +
    | Buddy BT48-12 |
    | 2.2 HP Spindle |
    | Aspire v. 4.015 |
    | Digitizing Probe |
    | Drag Knife |
    | Engraver |
    http://www.plus-skateboards.com