Thread: Cheapy indexer is looking pretty good

Default Cheapy indexer is looking pretty good

Decided I want to putz around with an indexer on my 48 inch Buddy.
    I bought a cheap import indexer from Ebay. It cost $269 delivered.

Two things are important in a lathe. The headstock and the ways. Since I have no ways to worry about it is just the headstock.
    This one looks pretty good! Nice casting with some metal to hold the load and the bearings feel pretty good.

I used some scrap T Track from the Z axis lifting project and two pieces of 1/2 inch aluminum plate to mount the headstock and tailstock on my table. I have the center of the turning axis 4 inches above the table. This should work out with the 9.5 inch Z axis that I now have.

Here are some pix from the setup just before the virgin run on a couple of pieces of 2x4 that I glued up for the the test

Attached Images Attached Images

It sure is Tom!
    Very nice looking job.
    Can't wait to see some of your exotic turnings-to-be.

But I don't quite see how it sharpens that pencil! Seriously, looks like its a winner, anxious to see some cool stuff. Russ
    AKA: Da Train Guy

You have to get the pencil turning really fast and then use an exacto knife.

Seriously, I was just too lazy to do the math so I figured out the VU setting experimentally.

What size is that chuck? Looks sturdy.

It is. That is an 80MM chuck. It came with two sets of jaws, one inside, one outside. I have an identical chuck, but a whole lot bigger on my metal cutting lathe.

I have a similar indexer from China, however with 50:1 "harmonic drive" type gearbox, not with belt reduction.
    That came with such a a 3-jaw metal lathe chuck as well. I did not like it and replaced it with a Oneway Talon 4-jaw wood lathe chuck. This is gentler on the material, has a variety of jaws and makes it easier to clamp rectangular or large material. However, it was tricky to adapt and these chucks are not cheap.