Thread: Opinions requested

Default Opinions requested

I have a 2004 PRT... 4g upgrade.
    shes still running strong but I believe I have a stepper ailing on my x axis.
    Im looking at the resurrection setup.
    so would I be better off spending 5000.00 +\- on hardened rails and a rezurection upgrade, or just looking for a used PRS?
    I don't need speed, I need better resolution. I run it in my garage now and just do side projects like theatrical sets, furniture, and signs.

A used PRS is going to run you 12k or more... And you'll likely need to put some work/money into it setting it up and repairing it. I'd say your best bet is upgrading your current machine if speed isn't much of a factor.

If you need better resolution get the belt boxes that can come with the rezurection setup...

Quote Originally Posted by EricSchimel View Post
    A used PRS is going to run you 12k or more... And you'll likely need to put some work/money into it setting it up and repairing it. I'd say your best bet is upgrading your current machine if speed isn't much of a factor.

If you need better resolution get the belt boxes that can come with the rezurection setup...
    Yeah, that's pretty much a given... though as I understand it, I'd lose a little of my Z clearance?
    Thanks for the input.

None of the belt reduction options that are offered reduce the Z travel or clearance. This applies to both single and dual Z'z (A)
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com
    Servo Controller Upgrades
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1

"We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them"
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Campbell View Post
    None of the belt reduction options that are offered reduce the Z travel or clearance. This applies to both single and dual Z'z (A)
    Thanks Gary,
    I'm most likely thinking of an earlier conversation about gear reduction belt drives.
    Since I have you here... are the hardened rails a requirement in my situation, low volume, don't really need speed, just better resolution?
    I'd be perfectly fine with cutting at exactly the same speeds I currently cut at...

I will usually tell most guys that my upgraded controls will allow that machine to cut as fast or as well as their frame will allow. In many cases, due to years of use, the rails then become the factor that limits both speed and quality of cut. That said, there are a good number of the "ol guys" that have used long files to straighten and tune those rails to near new condition.

I have installed a number of rail sets on aging PRT's. In virtually all of those cases the owners couldn't believe the difference in sound the hardened rails and new v rollers had compared to their old setup.
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com

"We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them"
    Albert Einstein

I just put in indexer on my machine and what I ran into may factor into your thinking.
    There are mistakes on the 4G board. I am talking about production errors that Shopbot knows about and just works around.
    Here is what happened to me
    I put the Gecko driver on to the pins provided and tied it down. I then soldered the proper current setting resistor on the pads that were labeled for it.
    When I started everything up the motor on the indexer got really hot. I mean so hot that you almost could not touch it.
    To make a long story short I eventually found out that THOSE PADS WERE NOT USED! There is no connection to them on the underside of the board. What you do instead is insert the resistor into the last two pin openings and screw down the connectors. You then install the drive and just let the resistors stick out the side of the drive.
    There are other ideosyncracies like this on the board.
    This is true of a lot of electronics. A manufacturer is not going to scrap and redo a whole pile of circuit boards for some little problem, they just surface wire a work around.
    Also your board is getting a bit long in the tooth. Shopbot can't possibly support it forever.
    Another point is that the belt drives are not quite as good as the gear drives you currently have, but they are a WHOLE lot cheaper and much easier to get. I want a bit more oomph to the motor on this indexer so I went out and found one on E Bay for $39. It is brand new and has twice the torque. Same NEMA 23 frame so a direct bolt on replacement.
    All things considered I am thinking about upgrading to Gary's setup in the next year or so. Certainly the next time I have a problem with the machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Campbell View Post
    I will usually tell most guys that my upgraded controls will allow that machine to cut as fast or as well as their frame will allow. In many cases, due to years of use, the rails then become the factor that limits both speed and quality of cut. That said, there are a good number of the "ol guys" that have used long files to straighten and tune those rails to near new condition.

I have installed a number of rail sets on aging PRT's. In virtually all of those cases the owners couldn't believe the difference in sound the hardened rails and new v rollers had compared to their old setup.
    New v-rollers come with the new hardened rails?

Only as many as you place on the order
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com

Albert Einstein