Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Creative Examples needed

Pretty sure this isn't what you meant Joe, BUT..
    Went to an unofficial New England Vectric "Meet and Greet" at Leo's in Mass. 2 Saturdays ago(wonderful informal get together!), and made 10 Bloodwood key fobs for people to take home.
    Michael M's "Small Celtic Dragon" model;
    http://forum.vectric.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=27678

NOT the best pic to show the wonderful detail of the model though
    I have 2 left that are getting the full 6 coats...will take close up pics of one later.
    Also 2 little Bloodwoods I did for a guy in Texas, to match a much larger "Tree" that he did for a cancer fund raiser, and his wife made him take the winning bid so she could have it at home.
    scott
    Attached Images Attached Images
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Hello Joe. I appreciate your request for people to show what they have made, as I do like to see the designs people come up with. I personally haven't made anything on my Shopbot this year, as I have been sidelined with other things. But as examples of some interesting designs, I found these two carvings on auction sites and simply offer them as examples of designs that I think others will also admire. Chuck
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Chuck Keysor (circa 1956)
    PRT Alpha 60" x 144" (circa 2004)
    Columbo 5HP spindle
    Aspire 9.0, Rhino 5

Thanks for posting guys,

Chuck, those are complex carving. Beautiful.

Scott, I think it's good to see what everyone, anywhere is doing. Glad you spend the time going to these e It's always a treat to look over your carvings. You're one of the few guys, down in the trenches, who knows how to produce quality work.

I'm suspicious the reason for so few examples of routing being done is low production. Which is saying most of the current guys aren't doing much. One thing for sure, those of us running businesses are after it every day. For example, today I'll be using a sanding mop and hand held router for half the day. Tomorrow is a Sikkens stain and painting. This will take a couple of days between coats. Then it's down to inserting letters in their sockets.

It's all lots of fun and takes a little time. If I didn't have a business and customers with expectation, I'd probably be setting on my back side.

Not your typical sign, but …
    Where I work, we sell admission tickets with a time stamp for entry. The old system for informing the visitors which tickets were entering was a dry erase board on an A-frame base. It was a pretty sad and dilapidated system. I was tasked with designing and fabricating a sign that could tastefully and easily inform the public of the entry time (in increments of 15 minutes) while maintaining the current signage standard of a substrate of no more than ½” thick. I came up with the following sign made from phenolic, solid surfacing and aluminum. The white discs of varying size inside are HDPE to reduce friction during rotation and prevent scratching between faces. The ½” diameter metallic discs are inlayed neodymium magnets to help register the dial location for aligning the numbers in the windows. The sign was designed to be located outdoors, so I modified some stainless steel bathroom stall hinges that allowed the sign to be lifted up and off its post for storage indoors during the night to prevent vandalism (a frequent occurrence).

Last edited by BJRphbow; 08-23-2017 at 02:06 PM.

Sorry pics are so freakishly big ... not sure how to remedy.

Try reducing your photo's with "Photo Pad Image Editor". It's a free download.