Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blinking Light to Notify Resting Machine

Default Blinking Light to Notify Resting Machine

Hello all,

It has been a while since I have been on this forum but I remember a while back seeing somebody say they had installed a buzzer or light of some sort to notify the machine has finished its current run. I can't seem to find the thread so I figured I would ask. We have two shopbots and I would love to have a strobe light for each machine that would come on when the machine has finished its run. We have a very large shop and we are very very busy so we all bounce around everywhere, it would be nice to be able to just look and see a blinking light to let us know we need to change the sheet or bit. I am thinking it will have something to do with the spindle control, Any ideas?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
    2009 BT48 RBK With 10' Powerstick
    2HP HSD Spindle

2012 PRS ALPHA 144"X60"
    Republic Blower Hold Down
    4HP HSD Spindle

VCP 8.014

Dear Austin

No doubt someone will remember the post.

Just as an aside Gary Campbell posted this video to keep us on our toes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2xoxPlDnW4

Sincerely
    Martin

I have these:

https://goo.gl/photos/L1m3NugY1ZQyQDLe9

I just followed an Arduino Neopixel tutorial and wired them up. I've got them triggered by the spindle output. When the tool is in motion they flash red, at rest they are blue. I love them because they look cool, but it's also very easy for me to tell with hearing protection on if the machine is done or not.

First guys you should never leave a cnc running with out being in the room with it. Even with hearing protection I can tell when something is not right. Second could not believe the condition of the shops????? My insurance company would cancel me in a heart beat. We have 6 inspection each year. I have no clue when they are going to show up. We just had an inspection this week. I got gigged because of five extinguisher one fire extinguisher was out of date, not empty but past its expiration date. I had two hours to have it replaced. the inspector stayed there till I went and purchased one. we had to shut down all production till then. We have a 5hp dust collection system hooked up to our cnc and other equipment. We have two shop vacuums, as soon as a job is done and before the next one starts we vacuum the floor and all equipment. At no time is there very much on our floors or equipment. We are required to keep a cleaning log, where we blow out the outlets and all electrical boxes blow down the whole shop and clear all hanging dust particles.. one five gallon bucket of saw dust with a slight breeze and a open flame can produce an explosion equal to 2 sticks of explosives. We have garbage cans at each station. Guys this is your equipment take care of it and keep your shop clean.. Fires do not worry me. the explosion that can occur you can not out run, the concussion is deadly.
    www.tgdesigns.net
    eking1953@yahoo.com

HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS IS A LABORER.
    HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS AND HEAD IS A CRAFTSMAN.
    HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS, HIS HEAD AND HIS HEART IS AN ARTIST.
    ST. FRANCIS OF ASSISI

I don't think either one of us said that we were going to run away to lunch with the machines running. I certainly don't. I just like the visual indicator as I'm working around doing other things while it's running.

I have pictures of a machine and shop of an operator that did just that. The damage to the adjoining leaseholds were in the tens of thousands.
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com
    Servo Controller Upgrades
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1

"We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them"
    Albert Einstein

Eric,. If you're willing to share any further information on your setup I would be very interested in utilizing it.

I promise to only use it while I am standing near the machine sweeping, vacuuming and blowing all the dust around my shop.

Thanks,
    Jim
    Jim

96 x 60 PRSalpha, 5HP Colombo spindle, Custom indexer, Custom vacuum table, Custom Fire Extinguishing System

Check out this guide:

https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-...eopixel-strips

I have a relay board on my machine and I just hooked one of the inputs on the arduino board to it so that the arduino knows when the machine is in motion. If you look up the ShopBot docs for the relay board there are actually instructions for hooking up a light in them. Just substitute the light for the arduino board.

Also if you get that much sawdust laying or blowing around you need a bigger dust collector I don't get a five gallon pail on the floor after cutting 2000-3000bd ft up for mouldings but I do run a collector that moves 8000cfm too

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Campbell View Post
    I have pictures of a machine and shop of an operator that did just that. The damage to the adjoining leaseholds were in the tens of thousands.
    Gary you should post the pictures.
    www.tgdesigns.net
    eking1953@yahoo.com

HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS IS A LABORER.
    HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS AND HEAD IS A CRAFTSMAN.
    HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS, HIS HEAD AND HIS HEART IS AN ARTIST.
    ST. FRANCIS OF ASSISI