Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Weird noise with 1/2 inch straight "O" flute bit

Quote Originally Posted by scottp55 View Post
    And you say it that noise isn't there with smaller bits?
    I run 1/2" shank bits all the time, and can't tell the difference from spindle noise.
    Did it Just start happening? Or has there been a gradual increase in spindle noise?
    Have you had an accidental "catastrophe" (Like drilling/cutting with your collet nut, or a major plunge mistake recently)?

Is the noise the same at all Z heights, or only when near Z topping out?
    I'm running out of ideas
    scott
    The same noise is not present with smaller bits. There is a very aggressive noise around 90 with the 1/2". We generally run 1/4" bits, and hadn't had to use it in months. Last time it was used it sounded fine, however there have been plunge mistakes since then (nothing within the month or so). When i changed the bit and collet to the 1/2" it was immediately evident that it was not right. The whole moving arm vibrates and shakes.

Noise is the same at all z heights, changes based on x/y coordinates a little.

Quote Originally Posted by Optics1942 View Post
    There is a very aggressive noise around 90 with the 1/2".
    Assuming you mean "90" as indicated on the VFD LED read out, this translates to 90Hz, which equals 5,400 RPM. With a big 1/2" cutter in that little spindle, she's growling at you telling you that you're dogging her out. These spindles don't have ANY power for work under 8,000 (OK maybe for small diameter drilling) and about 12,000 RPM for routing.

You need to keep in mind that this is a router & not a milling machine with a motor wound and geared for low RPM work. Crank up the RPM - I would suggest at least 200Hz (12,000 RPM ) and try again. It puts a lot of stress on the motor windings when you ask it to do work below its rated speed, because it is drawing a lot of amps to keep spinning at the speed you set.

These spindles are designed to run all day between 12,000-18,000 RPM. Running below this range will put more stress on it. I can't imagine your cut quality is very good at 90Hz/5400 RPM, if that's what you meant.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Disregard my last post...I didn't see your video.

...and I can't delete/edit it because it is in never never land somehow?

Sounds like a bad tool or collet. Try another 1/2" bit like a v-bit or end mill - if it still does it, replace your collet & nut. They are both consumables and don't last forever.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

is this what the bit looks like?

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by knight_toolworks View Post
    Wow, was that bit made by the village blacksmith?

Quote Originally Posted by Burkhardt View Post
    Wow, was that bit made by the village blacksmith?
    even better onsrud (G)

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Reid View Post
    Dear Optics1942

Try this for me please...

(1) New collet & same bit = same or better
    Same.. looking like the bit is out of balance whoo!

(2) New (similar) bit & original collet = same or better
    same.. could be the collet is knackered you will know how much use it has had! - I change ours a couple of times a year - You may see 'grey' shadow marks on the cutter shaft where the collet is 'vibrating'

(3) New collet & new (similar) bit = same or better
    Same.. big problem probably the bearing

I'm watching the post with interest

Sincerely and in good faith
    Martin
    1 same- measured runout and it was very small
    2 same- changed collet today
    3 same- when I run the spindle with no bit in (just collet and collet nut) it sounds fine. also sounds fine when I run with a smaller bit (1/8 or 1/4" single o flute)

Quote Originally Posted by Brady Watson View Post
    Disregard my last post...I didn't see your video.

...and I can't delete/edit it because it is in never never land somehow?

Sounds like a bad tool or collet. Try another 1/2" bit like a v-bit or end mill - if it still does it, replace your collet & nut. They are both consumables and don't last forever.

-B
    I got a new collet and new collet nut yesterday, and a new bit maybe a week ago. New collet and collet nut are both from shopbots online shop- didn't help

Quote Originally Posted by knight_toolworks View Post

no, it is a straight 0 not a straight v

Default Still trying

Optics1942

I'm back..

You must be getting very frustrated by now.

Before I go on, I would suggest you send the 'video' to shopbot technical. They have always been very helpful to us when we needed them (and quick). I would post the link to this thread; it may help with some of their questions. Outline the tests you have done, new collet, new collet nut etc.

As for now; If your router cutter 'shafts' look like the one posted by knight_toolworks then I would definitely put it down to an old 'worn' vibrating collet (that is classic vibration 'shadowing'). - You have changed the collet (& Nut) so this should be eliminated.

You did mention "however there have been plunge mistakes since then"! What were these exactly? Is it possible the whole spindle is not perfectly plumb in the machine or the bed not sat flat on all 4 feet. I'm looking for something that will cause even a small amount of vibration, which goes unnoticed with the small 'lightweight' cutters but is still vibrating the bearing which then becomes more apparent with the larger 'heavier' cutters.

I don't think it is normal wear and tear for a three year old spindle under normal use.

Looking forwards.. possibly... change the bearing or replace the spindle?

Check out beacon14 - had a bad experience - http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/sho...cement+bearing.

Anyway I'll keep watching to see what the guys at shopbot say

Sincerely and in good faith
    Martin Reid

Chuck the bit up in a handheld router and run it at various speeds. Does it vibrate there also? Out of balance bit, excessive bit runout?
    Scott