Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Programming Tools used to write code

Default Programming Tools used to write code

During the process of releasing the Doors.Exe program (which started as a Linux project), I've had many inquiries about the programming tools that I use to write programs that generate SBP files. For Linux users, the answer is simple: Do a full install of RedHat Fedora Core 3 and you'll have all the tools that you need.

Windows XP is a different situation entirely. On April 1st, when I thought I could spend a few minutes to compile my program to generate an EXE file, I learned that my existing tools (2 Borland compilers and 2 Microsoft compilers) were not going to work. Either they produced an EXE file that wouldn't work on Windows XP or they generated a file that would be too large to email. After a little head scratching, a little hand wringing, and a few hours searching the Internet, I found the combination of programs that works well for me.

If any of you are interested, send me an email and I'll send you a list of the programs that I use that closely approximate the Linux environment that you can download without cost from the Internet. (You will need a fairly high speed connection because the total size of the files is more than 100 megabytes.)

-Mike
    miker@xmission.com

SB code too can be used a to write a parametric code for machining door (and other stuff too)... Yes, only SB code!

7222.jpg
    ...this one use a V tool bit (any) and a profiling tool bit (flat end; any). It have 13 parameters to enter about this door; such as V tool angle, stepdown, groove depth, profiling bit diameter and again max stepdown, material thickness, door width (X) and height (Y), stile width, top arch height, X and Y offset of door int material blank and a "auxiliary" safe Z for low Z rapid traverse... I plan to add some more; tabs, groove width, use of other shaping tool bit... nesting (joke!)...

7223.jpg
    Ted's code is quite capable of VERY interesting things... and readily available to all; no need more than SB documentation and a text editor...

Oh and YES, the corners are sharp...

7224.jpg
    Still, Mike's door.EXE and it's code is quite COOL to have (and to use) to learn C... Thanks again Mike!
    I'm willing to share too; if interested, mail me.

More later...

8-)

The variety of approaches is interesting. I've been using C to produce a lot of my SBP code - sometimes as pre-run code generators to generate a complete cut files that are run after the C program has been executed, sometimes as runtime code generators that are invoked from within a SBP program to generate a temporary SBP file that is subsequently invoked by the main SBP file, and sometimes as programs that generate SBP files and then invoke the SB executable to perform the cut.

The easiest approach for me has been to define C macros like:

#define M2(x,y) fprintf(fp,"\tM2\t%.4lf,%.4lf\ r\n",(x),(y))

and then write C code that strongly resembles SBP code like:

M2(cur_x = r * cos(a),cur_y = r * sin(a);

when I'm ready to produce PRT activity. This approach allows me to bring full use all of the C language constructs to bear on part programming needs, as well as the development of a library of reusable C functions to do things like retrieve operating parameters from the SHOPBOT.INI file as:

old_xy_move_speed = sb_parm("VS",1);

to retrieve a move speed that I'm about to change but will want to restore later.

It definitely makes the part programs run faster. Here's a picture of a box and lid I cut yesterday with a part program originally written as C:

7231.jpg

When you cost out the time you spend with all of the codes and parameters and figuring and nesting....I have recovered the COST of DoorBot more than 25 times and look to do this 25 more and 25 more etc...My ShopBot is far too expensive to sit in the shop and collect dust while I mess around re-inventing the wheel. The reason I bought DoorBot is because this IS NOT A HOBBY and I like to use deposit slips far more than withdral slips if you know what I mean. Mike I cannot figure out the software, probably my skills. Thanks for the opportunity and I hope you keep making it better. The older I get the less I want complications with my business.
    Thanks

Dave...

You've put your finger on an interesting aspect of the ShopBot and CNC tooling in general. Nearly everyone has (at least slightly) different interests and strengths.

A steadily increasing portion of my business has come from non-local sources via the Internet; and has been a mix of off-the-shelf products and custom projects. The box shown in my earlier post came about because I wanted a combination shipping container and storage box. I spent about twenty minutes evening before last putting the code together, and ended up with a program to generate "egg crates" of whatever size and pocket configuration I wanted.

Having produced a solution to one problem, I'm about to start contacting some of the local manufacturers to see if any would be interested in buying specialized shipping containers in quantity. The program I've written may produce what they want; but even if not, I have a sample to put under their noses and a headstart on what they might want.

I'd like to suggest that the software is another tool whose skillful application can lead to increased business activity - and that if you see it only as a hobby activity, you're overlooking something very fundamental to CNC.

...Morris

Dave,
    From what I've read on this Forum, DoorBot is a very good programme, but it does only make doors.
    Morris' approach can have many and varied products.
    As Morris almost said, 'horses for courses'

...............Mike

Morris,

What material did you cut the box out of?

Jay

Jay...

The box pictured was cut from a piece of scrap 3/4" MDF - but I've been wondering if I might want to sacrifice a piece of cherry for a box for my own use.

...Morris

Dave,

I agree with you 100%, IF all you want to do is press a couple of buttons to make things. BUT, if you look at this section of the Forum's heading, it is "Developers".

Yes, things like what Mr. Dovey is doing may be complex, but he may be one of the only people in the WORLD who do can do something like that. Sure, someone could spends HOURS in a CAD/CAM program drawing that part, but then Mr. Dovey only has to punch in a few numbers and his program is DONE. So, if you were competing with Mr. Dovey making boxes like the one pictured adove, YOU would be the one writing "widthdral slips" while Mr. Dovey was making "deposit slips".

Mr. Dovey's complex of routines today may be Mr. Dovey's BoxBot(c) of tomarrow, just as Mr. Mason's cabinet door spreadsheet turned into the DoorBot program.

As for DoorBot, I think it is a GREAT package if your business is making MDF cabinet doors. You get software AND support which is something that is not always available with free software.

To me, what things like what Mike Richards is doing (giving to the ShopBot community) and Mr. Dovey's "know how and show how" and Paco's ability to do the same thing as Mr. Richards, but using ShopBot language is what make the ShopBot community so great.

Bruce
    PS I am kidding about the BoxBot copyright.

Hey Mike, I bought the software to make doors...and make them well. I just got a Motorola V600 ($350) phone and it takes pictures, video, has games, works ok as a paper weight...guess what? Crappy phone! Poor reception lots of dropped calls, bad idea, should have stuck to my 10 year old Nokia.
    I want the KISS principle and that's it. I like to walk into my shop and be productive in 10 minutes and making sawdust, if not I consider my ShopBot a VERY expensive hobby...