Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scanned jpg to vector

Default Scanned jpg to vector

What is the best way to turn a scanned blueprint into a machinable vector? I have Insignia 2012 and the latest version of vcarve pro.

I have been trying to get the drawing to upload so you guys can see it but I have not been successful. It appears to be uploading, but when it finishes, the file is not there to drag into the window.

Thank, Kip

Check the help file in Insignia where it talks about "Converting a Bitmap into Vectors" - However it is best to import the picture and trace over the JPG manually to get the best wrap & least number of nodes. There are other programs out there such as Inkscape that you may or may not find easier to work in. There's no shortcut if you want quality vectors.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Also use this awesome tool. This will reduce node count and really help smoothness overall.

Just my 2¢

Attached Images Attached Images
    "Once a person moves away from the computer and CNC some of the most important work begins." ~Joe Crumley

Quote Originally Posted by sawkerf View Post
    I have Insignia 2012 and the latest version of vcarve pro.
    Missed that part...Again, read the help file. It will show you step by step how to do it and what settings to change. BUT...as I said earlier, the best results come from manually tracing them and node editing.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Forgive my ignorance, but when you say "manual trace", does that mean dragging the mouse around the outline? After this, do you then go around and smooth it all out so to speak?

Quote Originally Posted by sawkerf View Post
    Forgive my ignorance, but when you say "manual trace", does that mean dragging the mouse around the outline? After this, do you then go around and smooth it all out so to speak?
    Yes. Just scan, or take a digital picture of the blueprints and trace over the top to create your vectors.

You try to do a raster to vector conversion of a scanned blueprint with a program, you'll end up with double sided lines.

Can this be done with v crve desktop 8.517

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Carney View Post
    Yes. Image Vectorization VC Desktop

I almost never use the automatic tracing utility in any of the programs. This is because it ALWAYS results in either rounded off corners at one extreme or stair-stepped vectors at the other extreme. Furthermore, it also results in a greater number of nodes than hand tracing with the mouse. That equates to more jagged cutting at the machine, because the machine will resolve even the smallest details present at the node level. Use the utility on a picture and zoom in...You'll notice that there are jaggies and wavy vector paths. Good from far...but far from good. No program can replace the precision of the human eye & brain.

Everyone has their own way of doing it, but I prefer to load the photo and use the polyline tool. I click on the photo in areas where I know a node needs to be to get the overall shape & start wrapping the polyline around it. Since the polyline by default will result in straight spans (lines) - I consider this only 'roughing out' the shape. After I've got a closed polyline (sometimes not) - I will switch over to node editing mode and then change straight lines to bezier curves, arcs and add or remove nodes to get the proper shape. It really doesn't take that long to get a perfect fit & it's good practice to keep your skills up. When I'm done, I have a 'production ready' vector with the LEAST number of nodes and smooth curves; which lend themselves to smooth cutting on the CNC.

Incidentally...the EXACT same thing goes for using the auto-wrap vector tool for wrapping 3D components. It also results in jagged lines because voxels (3d pixels) are cubes...Manually tracing the outline will result in a better 3D cut and 2D perimeter/profile cut...and same thing goes for the cross-section tool if you need to sweep into an existing shape cleanly without 'node streaks' in 3D.

If you want quick - use a tracing tools. If you value your work & want to be known for quality - learn to trace out by hand.

-B

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Carney View Post
    Yes. Image Vectorization VC Desktop

I almost never use the automatic tracing utility in any of the programs. This is because it ALWAYS results in either rounded off corners at one extreme or stair-stepped vectors at the other extreme. Furthermore, it also results in a greater number of nodes than hand tracing with the mouse. That equates to more jagged cutting at the machine, because the machine will resolve even the smallest details present at the node level. Use the utility on a picture and zoom in...You'll notice that there are jaggies and wavy vector paths. Good from far...but far from good. No program can replace the precision of the human eye & brain.

Everyone has their own way of doing it, but I prefer to load the photo and use the polyline tool. I click on the photo in areas where I know a node needs to be to get the overall shape & start wrapping the polyline around it. Since the polyline by default will result in straight spans (lines) - I consider this only 'roughing out' the shape. After I've got a closed polyline (sometimes not) - I will switch over to node editing mode and then change straight lines to bezier curves, arcs and add or remove nodes to get the proper shape. It really doesn't take that long to get a perfect fit & it's good practice to keep your skills up. When I'm done, I have a 'production ready' vector with the LEAST number of nodes and smooth curves; which lend themselves to smooth cutting on the CNC.

Incidentally...the EXACT same thing goes for using the auto-wrap vector tool for wrapping 3D components. It also results in jagged lines because voxels (3d pixels) are cubes...Manually tracing the outline will result in a better 3D cut and 2D perimeter/profile cut...and same thing goes for the cross-section tool if you need to sweep into an existing shape cleanly without 'node streaks' in 3D.

If you want quick - use a tracing tools. If you value your work & want to be known for quality - learn to trace out by hand.

-B

Importing the scanned document and running the "bitmap to vector" operation proved to be futile. The is way too much "garbage" on the scan to be useful in my opinion. There is too much detail to clean up to make it workable. I tried tracing with the mouse as well, but that too seems a bit tiresome and tedious. I'm wondering if perhaps I could physically trace the image with tracing paper and pencil, then import this new image, thus giving me a much cleaner image to start with. I'm hoping by doing this, the bitmap to vector operation will give me a much nicer image to work with. Anyone ever tried this approach? I think I might have managed to attache the scan in question.
    Attached Images Attached Images