Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scanned jpg to vector

Other than the image in the center it looks like you are dealing with all geometric shapes with a few small leaves added.
    The cross itself and the geometrics can be created with vector lines and 3 point arcs and there are many 3d images of leaves out there.
    I would just draw the boundaries of the cross and work on creating it from scratch from there. A grid overlay will go a long way in helping you keep the proportions close to original.
    I've seen similar pieces offered as ready to cut files from some of the eastern European designers on E-Bay and the Artcam Forum.

Quote Originally Posted by bleeth View Post
    Other than the image in the center it looks like you are dealing with all geometric shapes with a few small leaves added.
    The cross itself and the geometrics can be created with vector lines and 3 point arcs and there are many 3d images of leaves out there.
    I would just draw the boundaries of the cross and work on creating it from scratch from there. A grid overlay will go a long way in helping you keep the proportions close to original.
    I've seen similar pieces offered as ready to cut files from some of the eastern European designers on E-Bay and the Artcam Forum.
    The good news is, that besides the middle circle, you only need to trace half of this. Then mirror it over.
    also, there is a lot of repeating shapes, so trace one and copy/reposition.
    Your options are pretty much 6 in one hand, half dozen in the other.
    i don't think hand tracing, scanning, doing the conversion , then clean up will be any quicker than just sitting down and doing it in a drawing program. I've been doing this for almost 20 years.

Thanks guys. As I mentioned earlier, I'm mainly a cabinet guy who would love to do more of this type stuff. Given my limited experience, I will probably take an all inclusive approach to drawing this thing out. I do hope to find some ready-made artwork for the leaves and the lamb. You can't tell from the scan, but the lamb in the center is actually a separate piece that will be applied afterwards. Once I figure out the CNC portion, I then get to figure out gold leafing! I'm hoping that won't be too hard. Thanks again for your input!

Quote Originally Posted by robtown View Post
    The good news is, that besides the middle circle, you only need to trace half of this. Then mirror it over.
    also, there is a lot of repeating shapes, so trace one and copy/reposition.
    Your options are pretty much 6 in one hand, half dozen in the other.
    i don't think hand tracing, scanning, doing the conversion , then clean up will be any quicker than just sitting down and doing it in a drawing program. I've been doing this for almost 20 years.
    There are pearls of wisdom in there...

Many times we have to reevaluate some of our ideas & thoughts about design. For instance, there must be an idea floating around out there that this type of work is easy...that you, 'just push a button' and you get a perfect facsimile - or something along those lines. If this type of work was that easy, we'd be seeing every product on the market embellished with gorgeous, perfectly aesthetically pleasing decoration - but we don't - because it IS a lot of work to get a good result.

It also depends on how bad you want something (if for personal use) or how much the customer is going to pay (to feed you while doing it) - when it comes to more sophisticated designs. However, as Rob points out - this isn't that complicated of a design & you only have to draw half. (Actually less than that if you consider how many things can be mirrored over...) Aside from the center & acanthus quatrefoil and other little elements, this is pretty straightforward.

I wouldn't be discouraged or intimidated by this design. As James Booth taught me years ago, break the design down into its individual parts. Good design keeps the eye moving...as a designer, if you don't know this, this eye movement can keep you from focusing on replicating it & instead confuse you - making it seem more complicated than it really is. Print out your design & color in or label all the common shapes that you only have to draw once...You will quickly see it isn't as hard to do as you may have thought!

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com