Thread: Older Buddy Questions

Default Older Buddy Questions

Hoping some of you knowledgeable Buddy owners can help me out. I've found a 2010 PRS Buddy 48 locally with very low hours (owner says 5!). It comes with Partworks 2.5 on disc and 3.5 on the computer.

Just a couple of questions:

1. Is the controller new enough that I can simply plug in my current laptop running Shopbot 3.0 and VCarve 8.5 and test this thing out? I have a 2015 Desktop currently. Also anyone know what I'm looking at to upgrade to the current Shopbot VCarve Pro 8.5 in case I want to sell my Desktop with the software?

2. With such low hours over that time period is there anything I should be looking for? My worries is the grease setting up in the gearboxes, maybe some issue with gantry sitting in one place?

3. I had planned to get a full size as it will be going in my basement shop through a Bilco door. They come disassembled so I could easily bring in piece by piece. Anyone successfully disassemble a Buddy and reassemble it? I'm a mechanical engineer by trade so I'm pretty confident I could figure it out short of the wiring but would be happy to take anybody's experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Cook View Post
    Hoping some of you knowledgeable Buddy owners can help me out. I've found a 2010 PRS Buddy 48 locally with very low hours (owner says 5!). It comes with Partworks 2.5 on disc and 3.5 on the computer.

Just a couple of questions:

1. Is the controller new enough that I can simply plug in my current laptop running Shopbot 3.0 and VCarve 8.5 and test this thing out? I have a 2015 Desktop currently. Also anyone know what I'm looking at to upgrade to the current Shopbot VCarve Pro 8.5 in case I want to sell my Desktop with the software?

2. With such low hours over that time period is there anything I should be looking for? My worries is the grease setting up in the gearboxes, maybe some issue with gantry sitting in one place?

3. I had planned to get a full size as it will be going in my basement shop through a Bilco door. They come disassembled so I could easily bring in piece by piece. Anyone successfully disassemble a Buddy and reassemble it? I'm a mechanical engineer by trade so I'm pretty confident I could figure it out short of the wiring but would be happy to take anybody's experience.

1) Yes...with the caveat that you need to run UI to sync the firmware version between your laptop and the control box. Otherwise it may run - but in many cases won't run well. This has to be done any time you update the front end (SB3.xxx). Don't know about upgrading or licensing. Contact SB directly.

2) Not sure what you mean about grease setting up in the gearboxes...Never heard that one. Those Vexta motors run in all conditions even after sitting a long time. Turn the control box on and 'shake down' the machine. Listen/feel for slop. I'd bet that the lower YZ V-rollers are loose - which is pretty common and easily adjusted out. I would listen to the spindle (if it has one) and let it warm up at low RPM for 10 min or so. Then run it up to 18k RPM and all in between listening for bearing failure. If it's a router - don't bother. They're all over the place when it comes to bearing specs.

3) Yes. I've put them in attics, basements and through narrow doorways. Just pencil mark the brackets that hold the gantry to the 'table sides'. Remove the wires from the control box, leaving the blue terminal screw blocks with the wires. They pull off the board. Secure the wires to the gantry (except moving table motor wiring and prox switch) - take the gantry down. Remove the table by sliding it off & take that down. Then bring the table portion down. 2 guys should be able to do it no problem.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Thanks for the quick reply Brady, great information. For some reason I thought that these machines had gear reducers on the steppers, not sure where I got that from.

Luckily it's a router so that part is easy although I really wish it was a spindle. I'll check those rollers. Good to hear on the disassembly, just no other way to get it down there.

You're right, they DO have gearboxes on them, but they are totally enclosed. I am pretty sure OM uses synthetic grease inside the gearboxes, so they are for all purposes sealed & maintenance free.

It's not bad at all. Like I said, put a pencil mark on the AL extrusion to realign the gantry again. Unbolt the gantry at the top & insides of the 1.5x6" table sides and pull the wires out of the control box - then you can move it wherever you need. Rather than manhandle the lower frame down the stairs, you can remove the wheels (if equipped - early ones were optional) - and bolt/screw on some 2x4 skis of sorts - about 6' long. Then slide it down the stairs. The gantry will have to be carried down.

You shouldn't have to unscrew anything in the control box - just unplug - so it should go back together pretty quickly.

-B

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com