Thread: Church furniture

Default Church furniture

Just finished a rush job for some church furniture, Presider chair and kneelers.

The wood is cherry and they wanted it stained a wast of cherry in my opinion I could have made them out of poplar and it would have looked the same. The staining was done in two colors light on the back and seat, and the side panels on the kneelers.

<DSCN3074 by Brian Harnett, on Flickr

DSCN3075 by Brian Harnett, on Flickr

DSCN3080 by Brian Harnett, on Flickr

DSCN3084 by Brian Harnett, on Flickr

I've made three chairs for my grandchildren based on the same design, however they are a bit smaller. The decorations are probably not appropriate for a church chair.
    Nice work, Brian.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Not exactly my favorite pieces of yours Brian because they're so linear compared to most of your stuff, but customer gets what they want
    Totally in agreement with staining Cherry...to look like Cherry Luckily you put enough heartwood on the seat back with some sapwood, that it'll come into it's own in a couple years, and they'll be able to tell it's Cherry without examining the grain and looking for pitch pockets.
    Reminds me of a hardwood supplier up here, who was trying to diversify and took a cabinet job. Husband wanted Birdseye and wife agreed...he made up a kilnload....hand picked the pieces and did a beautiful job! Then the couple showed up right after everything was ready for finishing....AND wife had changed her mind from a natural finish! While he looked on, the wife apparently won the argument that "Opaque White Pickling" was very "IN"!!!
    So opaque that you couldn't even tell it was Birdseye!
    He was totally disgusted, and dropped cabinet making, and went into wide flooring!
    scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Scott, No the pieces are not my favorite either. They were worse, I usually always go off of pictures or personally go to the church and study the church architecture to make my designs, this time I was sent drawings from an architect fresh out of school The drawing for the chair was so out of proportion and structurally weak I refused to do the job unless I did my own drawings.

Still kept it somewhat within the church ugly they wanted and a chair you can actually sit in.

From now on I will request at the most a concept sketch and do my own design work

Aaah.
    I LOVE Frank Lloyd Wright's architecture, but at numerous times he demanded to do the furniture as well....."The most UNCOMFORTABLE chair I ever sat on" and "Nice dining arrangement....IF you didn't want to see or talk to anybody else at the table!" were 2 comments I remember

I DO like that little almost a cloud lift on the chair front legs...with a little head scratching I could probably draw it

Your designs are MUCH better!!
    scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine