Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The decline of Shopbot?

Default The decline of Shopbot?

I recently ordered a new Dust Shroud and Dust Skirt replacement kit from Shopbot. The original dust shroud and skirt fell apart long ago and I have been getting by with a home made rig, or not using dust collection at all.

I was excited when the new parts arrived. After unpacking everything and looking carefully through the box I could not find screws to attach the skirt to the shroud. Were they forgotten? A quick check of the Shopbot website showed no screws in the shroud or included with the skirt. ... Well, darn!! Now I have to go find screws? What size? How long? What a pain!

I dug through my scrap bin and eventually found some mismatched screws that worked. Otherwise, I would have to call Shopbot to ask the size screws required, then drive 15 miles to Home Depot to get 6 screws.

How much trouble would it be to include 6 screws with the Dust Shroud? Increase the price by a dollar or two if necessary. If that is too much, at least include a note that says "six #x-xx screws required". They could even offer them as a "Dust Skirt Fastener kit".

I admit this is a very minor issue, but sometimes it is the "little things" that indicate the direction of an organization. What is Shopbot thinking? Well, for this item, it seems to me they are not thinking.

I would call them and give them feedback - or send an email directly. I would imagine that it is rare, if at all, that the sales staff checks the forum.

My understanding of the 'dust foot replacement kit' is that it reuses the screws in your existing cracked or broken shroud. This is why they aren't included. I agree that they should be included for customers that have lost the originals, for convenience.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

I just ordered the same thing a few weeks ago. It doesn't come with screws. I asked. To get them you need to order an additional kit that includes the metal drop down rod. I saved the money and just went to the hardware store.

That kit is just mean for someone who's cracked their stock dust shoe and has all of the existing hardware.

My experience and the value I've received from the support staff at ShopBot far outweighs the inconvenience of a couple missing screws. I'm sure if you ever had occasion to call for help with a technical issue you would agree.
    PRS Alpha 96-60 ATC
    16.9hp Republic Regenerative Blower
    Aspire 8.5
    eCabinets with ShopBot Link

https://www.facebook.com/SyzygyWoodworks/

I had some missing screws and some wrong ones with the z upgrade and gave them feedback on it. a little bit of a pain but not too bad.

First it's the screws, next they won't send motors with the router. Then all you'll get is an empty box.

I bought a board at Home Depot and when I got it home it had a crack in it! What should I do? A few screws is hardly the demise of a stellar bunch of folks like ShopBot. They are probably down in Texas supporting the relief efforts and getting people back their lives. Just saying! Russ
    AKA: Da Train Guy

I had to call tech support for, well, tech support. I've owned my Shopbot for 11 years and they treated me as if I had just bought the machine. The tech helped me determine that I needed a new power supply. We were on the phone for almost half an hour, mostly because of my stumbling around inside the case. He talked me through using a voltmeter to check the unit.
    How many companies can you name that would provide that level of tech support after 11 years.

Phil

Here at ShopBot we truly value customer feedback. We are always looking at how to improve the customer experience and your feedback helps us do so.

Brady and Eric are correct that the shroud alone is sold as a replacement part so that the customer can use the original components of the dust shroud to reassemble it. However, Shopbotters are so great at coming up with their own solutions that we can’t assume they will always have each of the original parts, as you’ve expressed in this thread.

We strive to be as clear as possible when it comes to our tool and part descriptions, and the problem you encountered has brought it to our attention that this is something we can continue to improve upon. In this case, adding the screws to the dust shroud replacement part is a simple solution that we can put into place to eliminate an inconvenience to the customer.

Jeanne

Thumbs up

And That Is Why I Own A Shopbot!!!
    Tim
    Tim Lucas Custom Woodworks
    www.TLCW.us