Thread: 3D Wood Good / Bad

Hybrid View

I have been trying a few different things. Some carving and some more like signs.At this time most end up as the top of a box or the face of a clock or shelf.
    150 Clock Bubinga 2.jpg
    Shelf Butterfly 1.jpg
    Butterfly Box.jpg
    Phil
    BT 32 Standard
    2.2 HP Spindle
    Aspire Sofrware

That stuff looks Great Phil!
    Is it the amount of finishing time after it comes off the machine you're having the problem with?
    For kicks and giggles, try a small test with a lower stepover and against the grain like I do?
    scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 12.0*
    Maine

Yes, it is the sanding after if comes out of the machine. I need to buy stock in Dremel tools LOL.
    I usually go at a 45 degree angle to the grain. I will try the smaller step over of 5% and cross grain instead. I also set plunge rate = feed rate.Thanks for the advise.
    I have some V-Carving of letters that I am planning in the near future on a concept for a new product for Christmas and occasional gifts. I know its a little late for Christmas, so thankfully this is not how I make a living.
    I may not do any 3D carving for a while. When I do I'll post a picture and let you know how it went.

Thanks again
    Phil
    BT 32 Standard
    2.2 HP Spindle
    Aspire Sofrware

Phil,
    Several times I've run circular models with an offset finishing toolpath....and the worst of the finish was always at 45 degrees to the grain...so maybe that was part of the problem?
    Maybe try 2 small samples...one with, and one against the grain...and leave unfinished in shop as a reminder
    Happy Holidays!
    scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 12.0*
    Maine

Sounds like a great idea. I will run a few small sample carvings of a butterfly on the same piece of maple or cherry to keep the variables to a minimum. I'll do one with the grain, one at 45 degrees and one across the grain. I will use a speed of 17,000 rpm, a plunge and feed rate of 60 and a 5% step over rate on each. This should be interesting.

Thanks again
    Phil
    BT 32 Standard
    2.2 HP Spindle
    Aspire Sofrware