Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shop Layout - Would love feedback

Quote Originally Posted by bking1836 View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. You don't have issues with sheet goods curling when stored upright?
    No, I haven't had any issues.

One other advantage of storing vertically is ease of access. When storing sheet goods horizontally, it always seems that the sheet you need is the one at the bottom of the pile.
    PRS Alpha 96-60 ATC
    16.9hp Republic Regenerative Blower
    Aspire 8.5
    eCabinets with ShopBot Link

https://www.facebook.com/SyzygyWoodworks/

This is an existing building, so I can't modify the walls. Unfortunately there are no sight lines from the office area into the shop. I expect to use the larger than necessary office for some finishing work (furthest from the dust). I also can't put the DC outdoors due to regulations.

I like the idea of moving the CNC to the "bottom" of the shop layout closer to the overhead door. Here's a revised layout, which I like even better except for one thing: not sure where to put the miter saw.

Haven't decided about flat vs vertical sheet goods storage. I know it's a pain when the sheet you want is on the bottom. But I've also had plywood curl on me when stored upright, and that's a bigger problem than moving sheets around...

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions!
    shop layout plan 2.jpg

All are really good suggestions. The best include mobile tables and machines, vertical plywood storage closer to the door, and stationary miter saw with out feed in the overhead door. I started with horizontal storage and quickly converted to vertical. Moved my shop to a larger building and stayed with vertical. Then moved my shop 1400 + miles and kept it vertical. Shop burned and I decided to change back to horizontal and am thinking "what were you thinking". Your back will appreciate it some day.

This is an existing building, so I can't modify the walls. Unfortunately there are no sight lines from the office area into the shop. I expect to use the larger than necessary office for some finishing work (furthest from the dust). I also can't put the DC outdoors due to regulations.

I like the idea of moving the CNC to the "bottom" of the shop layout closer to the overhead door. Here's a revised layout, which I like even better except for one thing: not sure where to put the miter saw.

Haven't decided about flat vs vertical sheet goods storage. I know it's a pain when the sheet you want is on the bottom. But I've also had plywood curl on me when stored upright, and that's a bigger problem than moving sheets around...

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions!
    shop layout plan 2.jpg
    that looks a lot better.
    what is that blank space beside the restroom. is that out side

if you are determined to keep the sheets flat I would get someone to weld up a sheet goods rack like pallet racking. use 50mm box section steel to support the sheets. you probably only need storage for a few of each sheet type rather than 2- of one sheet. I would put the chop saw beside this in its own work station with dc etc. design the sheet good storage so that one shelf is level with the chop saw and build that level as your infeed . you can then use the front of that shelf for part storage of parts coming off the cnc until they are finished or assembled. then more shelves above that for lesser used sheets or lighter sheets.

I would put the miter saw

I would put the band saw where you have the chopsaw shown so that you can open the door if you need long cuts but still do short ish ones with it closed

how high is the space.
    could the dust extractor go up high and only have the bin on the ground.
    I have done similar with mine and it works great. the cyclone is up high and the bin is on a shelf up high enough so that one of my lesser used tools can role under it. its a great space saver.

Default Looks good

Obviously, the location of the most difficult to move item / the ShopBot / would be the most important.

"Feeding the Shopot sheets" would be critical if you are doing heavy production work. Not sure if you will be doing a lot of cabinets or more just unique projects.

Lots of ways to turn a DC off and on with a remote switch. Somewhat by accident, I happen to have an attic fan located directly above my bot which is good for moving out any dust that the DC system might miss.
    The decimal point seems to be the most important on the z axis... x & y not so much....
    ShopBot... Where even the scraps and things you mess up and throw away are cool....

Quote Originally Posted by Alan m View Post
    that looks a lot better.
    what is that blank space beside the restroom. is that out side
    It's an adjacent shop (someone else's).

I would put the band saw where you have the chopsaw shown so that you can open the door if you need long cuts but still do short ish ones with it closed

how high is the space.
    could the dust extractor go up high and only have the bin on the ground.
    I have done similar with mine and it works great. the cyclone is up high and the bin is on a shelf up high enough so that one of my lesser used tools can role under it. its a great space saver.
    The space has 10' ceilings. My concern is the weight of the drum and manipulating it if it's off the ground. But I like the idea in principle and will definitely look into it.

what kind of dust extractor have you.
    I have a jet cyclone. the drum is about 20" in diameter and 26 inchs high I'm guessing. it is sitting on top of 3 unistrut cantilevered brackets I havnt emptied it full yet but my plan is to pull it out onto a rolling cart and use that to bring it outside.
    what volume of dust do you create in a day or week.
    what do you do with the dust

I would rather have a smaller drum that was easier to empty rather than one large one that was a big job to empty.

what kind of dust extractor have you.
    I have a jet cyclone. the drum is about 20" in diameter and 26 inchs high I'm guessing. it is sitting on top of 3 unistrut cantilevered brackets I havnt emptied it full yet but my plan is to pull it out onto a rolling cart and use that to bring it outside.
    what volume of dust do you create in a day or week.
    what do you do with the dust

I would rather have a smaller drum that was easier to empty rather than one large one that was a big job to empty.
    I don't have it yet, but it will be an Oneida Gorilla Pro 3HP. I will probably go with the 35 gallon drum rather than the 55 for the reason you mention. I guess getting it onto a rolling cart wouldn't be a big deal.

Miller Marine Products, Ridgefield Washington

I don't have it yet, but it will be an Oneida Gorilla Pro 3HP. I will probably go with the 35 gallon drum rather than the 55 for the reason you mention. I guess getting it onto a rolling cart wouldn't be a big deal.
    I have the Oneida 3.5 HP and I started with the small drum because I did not have the ceiling height for a large drum in my old shop you won't save any horizontal space with the small drum it is the same diameter as the large drum you will just have to empty it more often. You say you have a 10' ceiling do yourself a favor and get the large drum. When I moved to my new shop I extended the legs and got a 55 gallon drum it is much better.
    WWW.MillerMarineProducts.com
    Proto Trak DPM CNC Bed Mill
    Brand X Industrial router
    Sharp SVL-2416SE-M VMC