Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shop Layout - Would love feedback

Default Shop Layout - Would love feedback

I am starting up a new small shop with a PRSstandard 96-48. Here's a layout I am considering. It's like the 42nd version I've come up with....finally I am getting somewhere, at least I hope!

Given the narrow width of the shop, I think the CNC has to be in the pictured orientation. Otherwise it could be tough to get full sheets on.

I would appreciate any feedback, as I am relatively inexperienced. Thanks!

shop layout plan with table saw.jpg

I have a one man shop and my biggest issue when designing the layout was how to move heavy sheets of material by myself. So I made a roll around table that is the same height as my Bot and my table saw. In your design I would make your mobile worktable and your TS extension the same table. That way you can back up to your roll up door, unload onto the mobile workbench and be able to move to the TS or the Bot. Russ

Attached Images Attached Images
    AKA: Da Train Guy

chiloquinruss, that is simple and brilliant! Thank you. Your idea removes a table from the shop floor, which is important given the small space. And I'm only one person, so I can't work at two tables at once anyway.

Thanks, glad to help. Just as a sidebar the movable table is only a few inches taller than the bed of my trailer that I take to and from the lumber yard, That saves the back getting materials into the shop as well. Russ
    AKA: Da Train Guy

I agree with Russ suggestion. A couple of other ideas.

If you have the height to store your sheet goods vertically, you could reduce that surface area from 4' x 10' to say 4' x 5'

I would consider moving the miter saw below the window on the long wall to the left. Build a long workbench and position the miter saw more or less in the center. I favor cutting with the workpiece to the left so I would position the saw so that I had 8' of workbench to the left and 6' or 7' (preferably 8' if you have the space) to the right. I'm not sure what you are planning on building, but I know how much time I spend at my miter saw and I like having a permanent spot for it. The workbench could also double as cabinet/storage space.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    PRS Alpha 96-60 ATC
    16.9hp Republic Regenerative Blower
    Aspire 8.5
    eCabinets with ShopBot Link

https://www.facebook.com/SyzygyWoodworks/

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Larrett View Post
    I agree with Russ suggestion. A couple of other ideas.

If you have the height to store your sheet goods vertically, you could reduce that surface area from 4' x 10' to say 4' x 5'
    Thanks for the suggestions. You don't have issues with sheet goods curling when stored upright?

Miller Marine Products, Ridgefield Washington

If it were my shop I would move the CNC close to the roll up door so I could back up and slide material right on the table of the CNC and also have my sheet storage close by. A small overhead crane system for moving sheets using a sliding barn door track with a cheap HF electric hoist might also be nice to move sheets from storage to table saw and CNC. You don't need an overhead crane system strong enough to lift car engines just good enough to move sheet goods. If you were close to me I would give you some door track I have a bunch of it.

I have a forklift that makes life much easier but you would need to be able to have access from the door and enough room to maneuver the forklift. Older used forklifts can be had fairly cheap if you watch CL.
    WWW.MillerMarineProducts.com
    Proto Trak DPM CNC Bed Mill
    Brand X Industrial router
    Sharp SVL-2416SE-M VMC

Miller Marine Products, Ridgefield Washington

One other thought I am not sure if you are located in a rural setting but if outside noise is not an issue I would consider moving the dust collector outside it saves space and lowers the noise level in the shop. I have a loafing shed I put my vacuum hold down motors, air compressor, dust collector & vibratory tumbler in the all make a huge amount of noise it makes working in the shop much nicer. My last shop was in town and I had all the same stuff located in a room inside the shop for the same reason I called it the noise room it had good ventilation but was insulated and it contained the noise pretty good.
    WWW.MillerMarineProducts.com
    Proto Trak DPM CNC Bed Mill
    Brand X Industrial router
    Sharp SVL-2416SE-M VMC

I would flip the sheet good storage just inside the large door. I can't imagine carrying sheet goods past the table saw to put them in the corner. Make the office smaller and shop bigger. Put the least used small tools where you have the current sheet storage, change the office location desk so you can see the cnc instead of being blocked by the restroom. The big thing for me was to try and not spend to many trips across the shop for different task. Material goes in one door and it is set up like a big U. My sheet goods, then cnc, then edgebander circle around to the assembly bench and back out the same door. Chop saw close to bench. All this is just to minimize steps. The less steps, the more time I save and that equals profit. Also dust collector works good in a corner. It's hard to do much else in corners except air compressors, dust collectors etc... Good luck with it
    Kenneth

is this an existing building or are you building it. if it is I would change loads. center the roller door so you go straight to the table saw by going slightly left and cnc by slightly right.
    make the office 1/3 its size. make the outside personnel door open into the office and a door beside it going into workshop with toilet just inside the door . put the chopsaw so that it is using the roller door space as outfeed on longer stock.
    put sheet good storage just inside the door