Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Com port problems...again

Default Com port problems...again

Ok, it's been 6 years since I've had com port problems.
    Now I've been out of business for 2 weeks.
    EVERYTHING is grounded just like it has been for 6 years.
    Running Buddy on Windows XP...for 6 years...ok, you get the idea.
    Now I have the intermittent connection loss problem.
    I've tried two other computers, both Windows 10, but they can't find the Buddy. Assuming that's a Windows 10 problem?
    Back to the XP machine. Reinstalled control software and drivers. Wiggled everything internally. Blown any dust out. Replaced memory.
    I can get anywhere from a full day of cutting to 1 minute before the dreaded yellow screen appears.
    Please don't suggest I contact tech help. They gave me the typical set of instructions I've had for 6 years.
    Any ideas?

Install a new usb hub?
    Tim Lucas Custom Woodworks
    www.TLCW.us

Hello Richard, I feel your pain. I have similar, intermittent Com Error problems. I have gotten lots of suggestions over the years, and think my problem is solved, and then it locks up again. I frankly don't trust my machine to run long jobs.

As it has been explained/or as I understand it, packets of data are transferred from you old XP machine over the USB cable to your machine. And those packets/transmissions get corrupted by ESD events, creating the Com Errors and all of your/our woes.

What I don't understand, is with all of the low cost, tiny PCs, why on earth isn't there a simple retrofit of a little PC into the Shopbot's control box. Then once the file gets loaded into the control box, it can run without being corrupted by ESD.

Well, no doubt that is simplistic. But at this rate, I feel like you and I are stuck............. Chuck
    Chuck Keysor (circa 1956)
    PRT Alpha 60" x 144" (circa 2004)
    Columbo 5HP spindle
    Aspire 9.0, Rhino 5

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Keysor View Post
    Hello Richard, I feel your pain. I have similar, intermittent Com Error problems. I have gotten lots of suggestions over the years, and think my problem is solved, and then it locks up again. I frankly don't trust my machine to run long jobs.

As it has been explained/or as I understand it, packets of data are transferred from you old XP machine over the USB cable to your machine. And those packets/transmissions get corrupted by ESD events, creating the Com Errors and all of your/our woes.

What I don't understand, is with all of the low cost, tiny PCs, why on earth isn't there a simple retrofit of a little PC into the Shopbot's control box. Then once the file gets loaded into the control box, it can run without being corrupted by ESD.

Well, no doubt that is simplistic. But at this rate, I feel like you and I are stuck............. Chuck
    A computer within the control box seems like a simple fix. I like it.
    As far as the Windows 10 problems, it seems that I had the wrong driver installed. I have a first generation Acer Aspire One running things now and am back in business....for the time being.
    All the the grounding being the same over 6 years leads me to believe that the problem must have been with the XP machine.
    I am still using the original USB cable.

Glad your running again
    Cables DO go bad, and the only way to know is with a multitester, or swap out the cables to check.
    Stinks chasing gremlins around.
    Sure we'll see more of this, as static season is almost here.
    scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

From above: "They gave me the typical set of instructions I've had for 6 years."

I'm going to guess that the solution was in those instructions.
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com
    Servo Controller Upgrades
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1

"We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them"
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Campbell View Post
    From above: "They gave me the typical set of instructions I've had for 6 years."

I'm going to guess that the solution was in those instructions.
    Uninstalling and reinstalling the software and drivers seemed to do the trick this time. Although, I'm not certain that the problem is solved. I've made changes carefully following the instructions before. Either the problem will immediately persist or eventually come back. In this case, I've made a few hours of cuts without a hitch. There are may variables in 'solving' this problem. Time will tell.

Richard...
    Time will tell, for sure. Assuming the ShopBot controller card has not been zapped by static or a component failure the only items that can cause those issues are from the USB cable on out.
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com
    Servo Controller Upgrades
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1

"We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them"
    Albert Einstein

I have heard that ShopBot is coming out this fall/winter with the FabMo for the big shopbot cnc machines, which will have a micro computer in the the control box and you will be able to access it by WiFi or Ethernet. This was in a news letter I got this summer:

One of the unseen heroes in the ShopBot booth was FabMo, ShopBot’s new CNC software platform. FabMo provides fast, smooth, motion and incredible ease of use because it allows our CNC tools to be run and managed from any device – phone, tablet, PC, Mac, iPad, etc., and to be run wirelessly or wired. Anyone who watched the snappy cabinet-cutting of the PRSalpha ATC saw FabMo in action. FabMo makes CNC more efficient; it makes CNC easier to use; it makes your CNC better. We’re currently shipping FabMo on Handibots and Desktop products and will be moving it to full-size tools this fall. Shortly after that, FabMo will be available as a control card upgrade for all older ShopBot tools.
    Ron Moorehead
    R&S Design
    ShopBot PRS Aphla 48 by 96
    Laserpro Explorer 30 watt
    Universal Laser 50 watt
    3D printer

Thanks Ron! I'll look forward to hearing more information about the FabMo. Chuck
    Chuck Keysor (circa 1956)
    PRT Alpha 60" x 144" (circa 2004)
    Columbo 5HP spindle
    Aspire 9.0, Rhino 5