Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Com port problems...again

Ok, the problem is back. I've replaced the computer, the software, the drivers, the cable. I've redone the grounding, several times.
    As far as tech help, I'm back at the beginning with them since they don't read through emails. I'm getting the seemingly bot generated "help" files again.
    They won't tell me what the 'proper' grounding is to avoid ground looping problems. For the last six years I've had a copper wire running through the dust collection hose and attached to the dust collector motor housing. The motor housing is grounded to the service entry grounding bus. The Shopbot computer box is grounded to the Shopbot frame and the frame is grounded to the service entry ground bus. This is how it's been ever since I've had the machine and it worked up until recently. I've checked and rechecked all the connections.

Something else I've told Shopbot help several times but haven't gotten an answer...The packet speed can vary from 10.9 ms to 25.9 ms depending on file size. It always seems to fail during longer files. Is this normal?

Since your packet speed is VERY LOW (should be in 70's) I believe you may have answered your problem.
    Tim Lucas Custom Woodworks
    www.TLCW.us

i was under the impression that faster packet speed is better.

Tim is thinking of the old transfer efficiency %, which was 70% or better. SB3.8.XX no longer uses that test and it is now the packet-et value that is looked at. This value is to be referenced after a single move command of 4" with a MX,4 or MY,4 and then UD to see what the value is. 20ms or less is preferred, though usually any value under 40ms indicates that you should not have any problems running your tool.

Have you done any updating to windows lately? Check to see if USB selective suspend is enabled in advanced power settings. If it's a laptop, make sure that any processor throttling is disabled as well and any turning off of the hard drive. In other words, if it's a laptop, make sure that everything in the power scheme is powered up all the time, no power saving settings at all.

Gotta love the 5th season, static season.
    Scott

Ok, that makes sense.
    Yes, I've got a new computer with Windows 10 that's not a laptop. The old one was an XP machine. Both have had no power setting saving features turned on. Both display the same problems, although the Windows 10 machine much less frequently.

I had a problem with loosing steps recently. Tech support suggested that I run a USB speed test, one of the SB diagnostic tools. The USB port I was using tested at 56%, 75% is needed. I tested another USB port that came in at 80%. Have you tried other USB ports?

Phil