Thread: Using bits with bearing guides on CNC ?

Default Using bits with bearing guides on CNC ?

Is anybody using bits with bearing guides on Shopbots? Wondering if this is even possible and if it is how is it set up?

Bad Idea…
    Unless you are using the CNC as a pin router and are moving the part/pattern by hand.

The CNC code is controlling the movement of the bit, conflict between the code and the pattern will result in either missed steps or a broken bit.
    SG

Like Steve said, I wouldn't recommend it. If vectors are even a little bit off from where the material is, you will most likely end up with either broken bit or the CNC will jam - if your material is held down REALLY well from moving - thus loosing steps and things are really messed up. Guide bearing bits are for the router table or freehand routing.
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

David, what's the reason you want to do this? Perhaps if we knew why there could be another solution to your problem...

I really don't have a specific project in mind I was just wondering if it was even possible. It doesn't sound like it is. One idea I had was decorative edge on a cabinet door after carving the center panel on the shopbot. Sounds like the solution is go back to the router table.

Thanks all, kind of what I figured. Just thought maybe someone had a trick that I didn't know.

Beckwith Decor Products, Derby/Wichita KS

You can purchase plunging profile tooling for that
    Google "Plunging profile router bits"
    Gary
    Beckwith Decor Products
    Caveco Distributor, USA
    Custom CNC Tooling/Onsrud Distributor