Thread: Behind the letters 2

Default Behind the letters 2

Just in case the Dan Davis sign isn't familiar.

Attached Images Attached Images

Great sign as usual Joe. Can you describe the process you use for designing the letters' background?
    Bob

You can just make a texture toolpath in Aspire:

In mine I went outside my letters with a V Bit, looks like Joe's CNC guy did it here with a straight bit, same concept though... You just make a texture toolpath and then do an outside toolpath around your letters.

2017-10-07 at 9.35 AM.jpg

2017-10-07 at 9.35 AM.jpg

Thanks Eric . I was actually interested in the female large letters that the wood letters nest into not the woodgrain background.

Ah, I see. So that's pretty easy too. First, grab a font and type out some text.

Then, select that text and go over to the "Modeling" tab (bottom left under the drawing tools)

2017-10-07 at 7.24 PM.jpg

Click on "Create shape from vector outlines"

Fool with the settings there to get the height and curve of the text you want.

Next make a 3D roughing and finishing toolpath that matches your tools and the desired depths you want:

2017-10-07 at 7.23 PM.jpg

After that it's a simple matter of making some inside and outside pockets for your text. I did a .5" offset there, but if you wanted to play with that 3D effect you could move the inside pockets around a little bit, even scale and distort them some.

The hardest part about this is finding that first button to balloon up the letters into 3D. After that it's just simple toolpaths.

Thanks for the interest fellows.

I almost never use any 3D. That's because it's difficult to justify in the check book. Of all my sign associates few use much 3D.

I begin by making a few thumbnail sketches. Find a letter style and go to Flexisign software. It often takes a long time to find the perfect letters. That choice is one of the most important keys to a successful sign .

When this sign was made I was using an old shaky 4b with no software. Back then Aspire or V carve hadn't be invented. My files were made in Flexisign and sent out to the computer as DXF which was then converted to a SB routing file.

Step one, profile all the elements in the panel with a 1/8" bit. Then go back with a 1/4" bit, same height, and do an area clearance on everything left. Next are the letters that were make from Extira. Profile the letters with a 1/4" bit using bridges. Once the spindle returns home, chuck up a 1" V bit and send it back over the same file but have it z down about .38". That's all there is to making this 3D looking letter.

The textured background was a fast, sandblast through a screen.

This sign is about as simple as one could be. It's the original concept that makes for easy sale. I think the finished panel can be seen on my website. www.normansignco.com

Greetings.

I'm affrais my previous description was not accurate when it comes to the bit, so here's a shot showing how they look after the last pass of a roundover bit. I said V bit previously but as you can see that wasn't the case. Simple technique that give excellent results

I learned that method from Joe a long time ago. Fast, clean, and looks cool! Russ

Letters and borders are cut out separately and applied to backer. For alignment purposes I very lightly scribe the backer to assist in placement of the pieces.

AKA: Da Train Guy

Thanks for the samples Russ,

Good tip about the light score to show where to letters should be placed. Also thanks for the illustration showing the brad point round over bits. Lots of folks have never seen these. You've been such a good supporter on the forum.

One other effect of rounding over letters, in this way, it when using a serifed letter, like Times, the thinner stroke of the letter will be depressed. This effect isn't too important except on very thick and thin letters like Caslon Black. When using some script fonts I increase their stroke by using the outline technique.