Thread: storing all the bits and pieces

Default storing all the bits and pieces

how is everyone storing all you router bits, spanners, collets, hold down bolts etc, all the extra stuff that goes with the machine

I have a cabinet that the pc is in and has drawers for all that stuff.

how is everyone organising all that stuff

I built a cabinet that mounts under the end of the router which houses the PC and control box. I, too, have a shelf inside which I have compartmentalized tray to hold the router bits and other essentials.
    Tom Bachman,
    Drafting/Woodworking Instructor RETIRED!
    Lakin, Kansas

2001 PRT4896
    https://i.imgur.com/xWEFfDk.jpg

I took the easy way out for bits, i bought two of these and screwed them to the wall right above my table. Works for me.

http://www.rockler.com/18-rockler-ro...t-storage-rack

I have a drawer cabinet for the accessories and a kind of Rolodex storage for the bits. Although, I should have made it bigger it is already full..

Quote Originally Posted by Burkhardt View Post
    I have a drawer cabinet for the accessories and a kind of Rolodex storage for the bits. Although, I should have made it bigger it is already full..
    that's cool. do the dividers come out .
    can the bits touch

Quote Originally Posted by Alan m View Post
    ....do the dividers come out . can the bits touch
    The dividers are captive with dowels but they can flip back and forth to make each row more accessible. The bits usually don't touch except the real big ones like 1 or 1.5" diameter. There are frontal slots at the bottom of the holes for the bits so that dust or chips can fall out and don't clog the hole.

Took scrap 2x4's and drilled 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" holes and stuck the bits in. For collets, I inserted a 1/4" dowel in some of the 1/4" holes and that's where they sit. Same for collet nuts. The 2x4's sit in my cabinet that has my computer. I chose the cheap-scape route
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

Another quick & dirty approach. Just took a piece of scrap plywood and cut holes and pockets with the ShopBot. Pockets are for storing backup end mills. Sometimes I peel the labels off the Onsrud cases and stick to the plywood. Sits in a Vidmar cabinet drawer.

IMG_1381.jpg

how is everyone storing ll the other stuff that's needed. bits a fairly straight forward to organise

Default Tool Shelf

Dear All

Here’s my two penn'orth.

TableEnd.jpg
    (Click to enlarge - Tool Shelf)

Have a organiser shelf on the 'zero' edge of the bench for the day to day tooling (collets, spanners, chuck-key etc) and 'in-use' cutters for the project in hand - ready for the manual tool changing.

As most others the 'cutter store' is in the office with the computer so they can be cross referenced with the tool database.

In good faith
    Martin