Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tooling marks Buddy Prs

Default Tooling marks Buddy Prs

I know that there are other threads on here regarding tooling marks but i could not find any that i thought related to my problem.

I have started getting tooling marks while doing 3-d finishing. I cut against the grain but dont think that is a problem and that is generally in the Y direction. I use 8-10% step over and 3 inch per second feed and plunge. My plaques are typically 18 inches tall and the marks are spuratic when and where they are seen but they tend to run the full height of the plaque. My 3-d cuttings are not as smooth as normal. These marks are easily sanded if you can get to them. My last carving, when i was about 2/3 way though with it, i cranked up the rpms and the markings were still there but not as noticeable.

All pinions were replaced recently. The Y motor had gone bad and had to be replaced. All pinions feel tight and they were recently cleaned.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Cowboy

When was the last time you renewed your collet? (and/or collet nut)

Sincerely and in good faith
    Martin

I would lean towards backlash in the Z rack to pinion or static bumping the Z motor a few steps.

With a dial indicator on the Z axis extrusion pry up lightly with a 1 by 2. Does it move more than a few thousandths?

Next cut that you see this occurring on, pause, remove dust collection, resume and see if that helps.
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com
    Servo Controller Upgrades
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1

"We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them"
    Albert Einstein

Collet, whats a collet. I have a cutting to do tomorrow and i will look at all options plus changing the nut and cleaning the collet. Thats for your thoughts

Since you changed out pinions of late, be sure the pinion set screws are tightened properly and that you have the motors tightened into the racks with firm hand pressure on the motor, not clamped or pry barred into the racks. Excessively tight pinion to rack adjustment can cause issues of cut quality and possibly lost steps. If too loosely ajusted, it can allow backlash. As Gary stated, check for play/backlash in the Z. Check for play in the Y car and adjust the lower rollers as needed. If there is, it may not show in 3D cutting, but it's good practice to check the Y car to gantry adjustment from time to time.

Since you have a buddy, be sure that there is no issue that could cause your table to lift slightly. Foreign objects on rollors/v-wheels etc.
    Scott

when you run a surfacing program do you get any ridges

I need to do some looking today and cleaning. I did two small pockets yesterday about 3 inches in diameter with no ridges. One with a 10 percent stepover and the other a 20

I just checked the z and it appeared to be tight enough but tightened it anyhow.
    The Y seemed to have way to much play in it and i tightened it down.
    The collet was filthy and i changed the nut on it and cleaned.
    I dont have a dial in indicator if someone wants to suggest the correct one for me to buy.
    I have a carving to do today and i will let you know how it turns our.

Default Problems with worn collets

Quote Originally Posted by cowboy1296 View Post
    Collet, whats a collet. I have a cutting to do tomorrow and i will look at all options plus changing the nut and cleaning the collet. Thats for your thoughts
    Collets...
    Collets.jpg

I change my collet regularly, you will be surprised what a difference it makes.

Especially if it is producing 'shadow marks' on your cutters.
    bits from bad collets.jpg

I apologise if I didn't reply in time for your cutting - middle of the night here.

Sincerely and in good faith
    Martin

thanks i will look for the marks