Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tooling marks Buddy Prs

Some of what you might be seeing is the different colors in the black walnut that the flash picked up, but i am still not happy. I have new pinion gears all the way around and a new z motor. I am currently cutting a Texas Ranger badge and not happy with it at all. I am going to try and re-cut the finishing tool path again tomorrow and see what happens.

One thing that is often overlooked when chasing down apparent Z issues on a Buddy is the condition, adjustment and cleanliness of the powerstick V rollers and pinion. If the rollers are not adjusted properly the table surface can flex up and down as weight shifts from table movement.
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com
    Servo Controller Upgrades
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1

"We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them"
    Albert Einstein

thanks i am going to look into the rollers tomorrow.

Good one Gary...

Power up the control box & wiggle the table in all directions...check the powerstick pinion while you're at it.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Nothing like owning up to your own mistakes. The only reason I am posting this is to help someone else not make the same mistake in the future. I watched shopbot’s video on how to change the pinions and how to achieve the same position on the shaft. I thought that I did this correctly but was wrong. The gear protruded out to far only a tiny fraction of an inch and I believe that it was causing me to loose my z ever so little. After conferring with tec support we figured it out and correctly positioned the gear. I have just done a new carving with no issues.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg z.jpg (191.0 KB, 555 views)

Congratulations - It might kick your butt the first time, but after you learn you'll know what to look for. (Hopefully anyway...)

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Glad you found the problem.

I have been having the same tooling marks on 3D carvings. I tried the suggestions above and found that the root cause for my Buddy PRS Alpha was the z pinion not being adequately greased. I took an automobile grease gun and liberally applied grease and ALL TOOLING MARKS disappeared. I hope this may help someone who is having similar problems