Thread: Fein Turbo 3

Default Fein Turbo 3

I have been using my Turbo 3 for hold down for many years with no issues. Looks like they don't make them anymore. Is there another model that works the same or better? I wanted to add a vac for each zone. Any help would help. lol Will the Turbo 2 do the job? What are you guys using that works well that isn't loud or very expensive now days. Obviously need the bypass cooling. I sometimes run toolpaths for 20+ hrs.

Joe

The new Turbo II is actually better than the old Turbo III. It pulls the same @ about 7.3 Hg" @ 0 CFM and has 151 CFM airflow (vs 126 for T3) @ 0 Hg".

Lighthouse makes comparable performing motors if you are into DIY. Of course the trick is keeping them cool and quiet.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Quote Originally Posted by Brady Watson View Post
    The new Turbo II is actually better than the old Turbo III. It pulls the same @ about 7.3 Hg" @ 0 CFM and has 151 CFM airflow (vs 126 for T3) @ 0 Hg".

Lighthouse makes comparable performing motors if you are into DIY. Of course the trick is keeping them cool and quiet.

-B
    From what I have read the Lighthouse motors are loud. I figure with all the work required plus costs, wouldn't it be easier to just buy 4 Turbo 2 vacs and hook them together or run one to each zone? Your thoughts?

Joe, I don't know about vacuums from personal experience, but in reading the forum, if you don't want to build your own vacuum box system using 4 Lighthouse motors, the manufactured product that uses 4 Lighthouse motors is called the Hurricane, by Blackbox. I think they retail for $2,450. That looks like a lot more than the cost of purchasing 4 of the Fein Turbo 2's (Looks like the Fein 2s are about $350 each new).

If there is some disadvantage to using 4 Fein Turbo 2s compared to using the Hurricane, maybe someone else who knows can comment. Chuck
    Chuck Keysor (circa 1956)
    PRT Alpha 60" x 144" (circa 2004)
    Columbo 5HP spindle
    Aspire 9.0, Rhino 5

The Hurricane box would have more suction and less CFM than 4 Feins. I don't recall the decibel rating of the Hurricane setup compared to the Fein.

Either setup is a band-aid for vac hold down, unless you are a weekend warrior/garage band with only occasional use. Loud things can always live outside in a mechanical room or even one of those tupperware mini sheds.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

one way I thought though of if you want quiet but bigger motors then a fein has is to get a whole house vacuum. you can get them with the 220v motors and they will be quieter then a black box setup. they use the same motors as everything else.