Thread: latest sign

Default latest sign

Our latest sign. Sikkens log and siding stain and pvc letters. customer installed with their own posts. I think they will stain them in the spring. It is going to snow for the next few days.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That looks great! Thanks for sharing.....

Nice! Details?
    Tom Bachman,
    Drafting/Woodworking Instructor RETIRED!
    Lakin, Kansas

2001 PRT4896
    https://i.imgur.com/xWEFfDk.jpg

Bob,

Excellent layout and choice of letters.Good treatment for the posts too.
    It looks as you pocketed the letters?

thanks gentlemen;
    the customer wanted an old German font to reflect their heritage. Most of the old European fonts are actually hard for us to read so we had to modernize a few of the letters to make them more legible. We then pocketed the letters and adhered them with E6000. So far I have had good success with that as it doesn't harden and allows the wood to expand and contract without popping the pvc letters off.

You've use some excellent techniques here.

The technique of pocketing guarantees letter placement to be correct. That's ever so important for letters or a curve and for unusual letter styles. Also the use of E6000 is just about as good adhesive on the market. The 6100 is even better, for me, since it doesn't run. Much thicker.

I'm also fond of Sikkens to be one of surface stains. As good as it is the UV does cause a repaint in four or five years.

I trust others have learned from your post.

Very nice... Love the wood. Hard to tell if it's Redwood or Aromatic Cedar or Pine (Stained)... Do you paint the PVC?

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks Joe. I will have to try 6100. Haven't seen it in stores around here but Amazon will have it.
    Charlie the wood was actually western red cedar. I do always paint my pvc although it was pointed out to me that the new deck pvc's last for years without yellowing. I also like the better sheen and color selection paint gives me over raw pvc. Bob

Bob,

I think the 6100 only comes in the caulking tube size. It's the toughest, flexible, adhesive I've found. I like using it when joining materials that don't expand and contract at the same rate.