Thread: ten seconds of stupidity

Default ten seconds of stupidity

When I bought my Saw Stop I did not get an extra cartridge because I am pretty careful around the shop and I did not think I would ever need one.
    This morning, in a hurry, I grabbed the miter fence and moved it to the left side of the blade. Yeah I know to slide the bar so it does not hit the blade but like I said, in a hurry.
    This could have been a pretty bad accident but it was just noisy when the saw stop did what it should.
    Look at what a small nick the saw put in the fence!

Last edited by tlempicke; 10-26-2017 at 01:03 PM.

No picture, but it sounds like you are okay and that is the reason we buy saw stop.

Were you sliding the fence over the blade while it was spinning?
    2006 PRTalpha 96x48
    3hp SEV spindle
    Vcarve Pro8
    Always eager to consume large amounts of info, tips, and techniques!

Good to have extra blade and cartridge no matter what... Could be something unseen in the wood. Slightly too high moisture. Or any number of things that set it off. I work in several shared shops and I have seen about 7 fire for reasons we are not 100% sure. Never one where we believe someone hit the blade though.

The lumberyard where I used to live got a saw stop for free. Their insurance and the state workman's comp each paid half. It was a bargain all the way around.

Paul Z

Yeah I used Sawstops a bunch back when I was working at Fetzer Archtiectural Woodwork- can’t recommend them enough. I never triggered the sawstop myself, but you should definitely have a back up blade and cartridge. Any metal that touches the blade (such as a nail or screw buried in the board) can set off the safety trigger, so even if you’re being perfectly safe it can still go off if you miss a single nail.