Thread: Spindle sinks overnight

Hybrid View

Default Spindle sinks overnight

We just got our new PRS going, after attaching the dust collector hose we find the spindle sinks to the table overnight, broke a bit off this morning when the operator tried to raise it using the directional buttons.

Question: Not wanting to reinvent the wheel... is there a way to adjust tension, counterbalance or otherwise prevent this?

There are two springs on the back of the Z carriage- I think that shopbot has different springs for different configurations.

My Z axis has a pneumatic assist, so it will drop when I disconnect the air. I always park the machine in the same spot and pop a 2x4 cutoff under the spindle before disconnecting the air. It drops down and rest on the 2x4.
    PRS Alpha 96-60 ATC
    16.9hp Republic Regenerative Blower
    Aspire 8.5
    eCabinets with ShopBot Link

https://www.facebook.com/SyzygyWoodworks/

I don't have a Shopbot but had the same problem. I installed a 20 lbs gas spring (a sealed pneumatic cylinder like the one that holds up the car hood) like this one: https://www.mcmaster.com/#gas-springs/=1a3z9cr. Unlike coil springs, the force does not change much over the stroke distance and they don't need a shop air connection. I made the mounting bracket a little flexible so that very small z-motions of a few 10/1000" don't make the gas spring move.

They are specified for 25,000 cycles and I was concerned about durability but after 5 years of moderate use, so far so good. They are anyway cheap enough to replace.

Quote Originally Posted by ger.wat View Post
    We just got our new PRS going, after attaching the dust collector hose we find the spindle sinks to the table overnight, broke a bit off this morning when the operator tried to raise it using the directional buttons.

Question: Not wanting to reinvent the wheel... is there a way to adjust tension, counterbalance or otherwise prevent this?
    If this is a new machine, call SB. ~ especially if you upgraded to a spindle last minute.

Normally the Z shouldn't drop. Sounds like they could have installed the wrong springs at SB.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com