Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New bot with tool changer

Don how do you have that setup? Do you have your post processor call up your fixed zero routine when a toolpath is done (that calls for a different bit)?

I very seldom disagree with Don, but when he says: "I use MTC but have found that with the cutting file changes I've made it seems I can change bits as fast (or very close to it) as the ATC changes bits.", this would be one of those times.

Having used a PRSa 9660 with s single head, a PRSa 9660 with a dual Z (and 2 drills) and a PRSa with an ATC, my actual experience tells me that in most cases, with the typical cabinet files that I used to cut wholesale, i.e., with dados and all hardware drills, that the average sheet count processed per day would be somewhere between double and triple either of my first two configurations. This is due to the "system" much more than it is due to the actual number of seconds that changing a tool takes.

Total productivity goes up even more if you figure in how many less interruptions there is to "other work" with an ATC over a machine that requires tool changes in addition to sheet swap. Even more again when you realize that a lesser skilled operator could be used to load sheets and run files, since he no longer has to swap out bits and zero them properly.
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com
    Servo Controller Upgrades
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1

"We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them"
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Campbell View Post

Having used a PRSa 9660 with s single head, a PRSa 9660 with a dual Z (and 2 drills) and a PRSa with an ATC, my actual experience tells me that in most cases, with the typical cabinet files that I used to cut wholesale, i.e., with dados and all hardware drills, that the average sheet count processed per day would be somewhere between double and triple either of my first two configurations. This is due to the "system" much more than it is due to the actual number of seconds that changing a tool takes.

Total productivity goes up even more if you figure in how many less interruptions there is to "other work" with an ATC over a machine that requires tool changes in addition to sheet swap. Even more again when you realize that a lesser skilled operator could be used to load sheets and run files, since he no longer has to swap out bits and zero them properly.
    I totally agree with you Gary. Total through put most definitely be higher with an ATC. I was just trying to communicate my experience with bit changing times. If you look at the overall process (which I have done on many occasions, as I should as a business owner) having an ATC would most definitely increase overall through put. I just wish I had the money to purchase one. Way beyond my budget right now.
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.