Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you do with your scrap?

Default What do you do with your scrap?

The “endless wood scrap conundrum” … Do you save that piece of drop or consider throwing it away as the cost of doing business? Saving every promising piece of scrap will shortly find you out of room! Occasionally you will find a school or hobby/craft-person happy to take a handful pieces, but they hardly make a dent in the growing problem! Have you noticed that CNC scrap is awkward? Nested parts leave you with odd shapes and often without straight lines or square corners!

The last few years I’ve been saving Pecan drops from tables, chairs, mantles and other miscellaneous projects. I saved them if I could cut 2”, 3” or 4” strips from them. I finally found the time to carry out my plan!

My office floor now reflects my love for Texas Pecan wood! It was ridiculously time consuming and hard work… but worth it!

What do you do with your scrap?

SG
    Attached Images Attached Images

I Love your scrap! That is beautiful!
    Tim Lucas Custom Woodworks
    www.TLCW.us

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Lucas View Post
    I Love your scrap! That is beautiful!
    It sure is!

This was not too long ago. I dispose of a lot of wood waste. All my hardwood scraps go to people to burn. My mdf, melamine etc go into the dumpster. I could fill many, many trailers like this over the course of a year. Too many. But what the heck do you do with all the smaller pieces left from every job?

A while back I wrote a blog post about dealing with small offcuts and waste in general. I haven't explored it much further, but can't help but think that if there was a way to automate nesting small parts into your daily cutting that it would be "green" in both ways...environmentally and financially. The materials are better than free, since you don't have to pay to haul them away.

http://www.shopbotblog.com/2015/11/d...te-management/

the small pieces i give to some to burn in their stove, but the larger pieces are not considered scrap. Here is a piece i made for out of scrap for me and you floor is beautiful.
    Attached Images Attached Images

A pecan floor???? That's nuts!!!

Seriously - gorgeous result. I'm floored!

You are so right about 'if you kept every drop or cut off' - it'd fill up the shop quick. Smaller sized stuff goes in a rolling trash can for the wood stove. Larger stuff - or precious exotics go in the keep pile.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Beautiful floor and great use of scrap. Of course you could have turned thousands of pens with that.

Half the floors in my house are “character” hickory that I paid an arm and leg for. It looks almost exactly like your pecan. I am a bit jealous that I had to pay 4 times as much as regular flooring to get mine and your flooring was paid for by your customers!

My scrap gets ripped and cut for glue ups odd shaped small stuff goes in the woodstove sawdust goes to people that raise chickens most of my sawdust is good for that, I stay away from manufactured boards for almost all my work.

And I fill boxes and give them away to several woodworkers I know that do smaller hobby stuff.

BEAUTIFUL Floor Steve!!!!

THe small stuff I give to friends to use as fire starter in their fireplaces. The bigger pieces I either use for craft type projects or give to the local highschool woodshop. Most of my plywood scrap goes to the highschool woodshop where they use it for jigs/patterns and stuff like that. I take appropriate woods and make cutting boards. Very little goes in the trash.
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.