Thread: 3d probe. do i need aspire

Default 3d probe. do i need aspire

I have a 3d probe.
    no clue how to use it yet . only watched a few videos.
    a guy wants me to route out a board so that he can display items he sells. they are hard to describe or put a name to. but they are roughly like a screw driver or chisel handle . sort of a elliptical cross section and curving all directions.
    he wants me to carve out the board so that this item can sit in half way

assuming the probe works I should be ok to get the file.

problem is that the videos show using aspire to model it.
    can I use v carve to create the cutting files and adjust anything.

also I need a cut out the same as the part (or the opposite of it) so that the part fits in.

any advise or suggestions
    thanks alan

Actually you probably can but the issue will be that it will be a bit of a quick and steep learning curve to work it out because you will be stretching your knowledge of the software bigtime.
    For the probing: Although you have the probe you obviously haven't used it or read the manual and the good news is it will do what you want. The bad news is you don't just hit the button. You have to learn how to do it.
    For cutting out the pattern: Actually from what you are describing the cutting of the pockets to drop in a tool like a screwdriver or chisel can be done in your software as long as the shapes are what one would expect from those tools and instead of creating a 3-d toolpath you use the machining tools like area clear, fluting, cut along vector, etc and figure out which works best for what cuts you need and then execute the design and toolpath generation. Again-will take study and a learning curve.
    If you are willing to dig into it one step at a time and worry at it like a dog with a bone you will succeed. If you want an easy out answer-No joy!

Alan,
    Yes, you can use VCP to import the SB probe data and toolpath the results. There is a Gadget for VCP called 'ShopBot Probe Importer'. It will let you pull in the probed data, but you cannot edit it due to the limitations of VCP.

Depending on the resolution you seek you may or may not be happy with the results. If you need a high quality scan ready to cut, contact me off list. Also, I can cleanup and modify your probe data and send you the result for VCP carving as well...again, contact me off list.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

I have done some of this making tool trays for antique cars. It works quite well but is extremely time consuming. It will take a good bit of time to generate the pattern and then cutting it out is a 3D operation that takes a good bit of time.
    It will produce excellent results! You will be able to read the writing that is engraved on to the tool handle with ease.
    With that said I have also made a number of personalized knife cases where the carving knives are stored in recesses shaped just like them. I found that putting the knife on a copy machine and then bringing in the resulting JPG allowed me to make well fitting cavities in pretty short order. Simply trace over the outlines on a separate layer and then pocket out as needed.

If you are just looking to make an outline of the tool and a recess (pocket) for it to rest in then the probe will work just fine. When I used VcarvePro prior to purchasing Aspire I used the probe exactly for that purpose except it was used to create an outline of candy/chip and dip bowls/ trays like you see on EagleAmerica.com . I you need help with that just let me know, I will be happy to help.

Joe
    2005 PRT Alpha 48x96
    2013 Colombo 3hp spindle
    Indexer (converted lathe)
    Aspire 9.0

If the pocket does not have to be a 3d contoured fit then why bother with the probe hassle?

Take a snapshot of the tool, using the pic as a template, draw a line around it with your software to the correct scale. Print it out and lay the tool on it. Does it fit? Great!

Next draw out the board and arrange your tool shaped holes on it. Use the holes as your outlines for pocket cuts half the depth of the tool.

You will be done with the full project in hours, before you spend days learning to use the probe, hours making scans, hours correcting the scans, hours carving recesses and testing the fit. It is just a huge pain in the butt.

Are you charging for this? The cost would get out of hand almost instantly with probe scanning labor. If you do not know how to do probe scans yet, then you may not be able to give an accurate price. It also may cost more than the customer wants to pay vs. a simple profiled recess.

I have done enough probing to know I won’t do it on anything except my own projects. It is more cost effective to use a scanning service with better, faster, easier to use scanners and software. They can do a better job in WAY less time, actually saving you headaches and leaving you some margin to mark up the service for handling it and still saving the customer some money.

Go to Brady’s ibild.com web site. The SB probe can’t touch what he can provide!

unfortunately it has to be 3d.