Thread: Collet recommendation?

Default Collet recommendation?

I use a ShopBot in a maker space, and the shared collets are fairly chewed up. I want to invest in some of my own, but I'm having trouble differentiating between them. Is there anything to look for in a "good" collet? For starters, I want an ER25 for 1/4" shanks.

Here are some that I found:

There is also one for sale on the ShopBot website, but it's about twice as expensive as the others. Suggestions welcome!

You want the Techniks - same as OEM. The one you listed should be fine. That's a good price if genuine Techniks.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

OK, thanks. Any details on why? Is Techniks just regarded as the best supplier?

Don't know about 'best', but Techniks is of good known quantity and high quality...

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Techniks is perfectly good stuff, but for what it's worth, myself and others here have discovered the Shars brand of collets/accessories. Very good quality and pricing. Many reputable companies are migrating to ebay for store fronts, so don't let the ebay thing dissuade you. Check out their store - here is an ER-25 example:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1Pc-ER25-Co...item90a9c5d51e

Provided the specs are accurate, the "ultra precision" versions are very impressive.
    Every collet, nut and wrench I've purchased from them was of exemplary quality - great bang for your buck.

Jeff

Adam

You do right to get yourself a good collet, it will help to protect your cutters. I would get a collet nut also.

What is the state of their spanner?

In good faith
    Martin

It's an active maker space, so all of the publicly available equipment is pretty chewed up. I hadn't really thought about getting my own spanner, but it's only $10 for one, and Shars is running a sale this week. Should I get one?

I would recommend it. You'll find the Shars is 50% thicker material than what originally came with the machine.

Great, thanks for the tip. With the Black Friday sale they are running, the wrench is only $8.

Maritool. Top quality stuff, good prices.
    www.cosmos-industrial.com - Pen Marking Tools - Drag Knife