Hi Everyone,

I just joined the forum yesterday and this is my first post. I believe this is the correct area to post this, so, here goes!

I recently retired and want to start a CNC business where I produce CNC-carved products for sale. I have a niche area in mind where I've previously created multiple retirement shadow boxes (e.g. military, fireman, police..) without the use of CNC-type tools. I believe that CNC will not only help in the amount of precision and expanded design capability, but also in speed/ volume. In order to do this, I'll need to purchase a Shopbot and I'm eyeing the PRSalpha 48"x96" with Spindle. I understand the cost and my plans are to start with the shadowbox area and potentially expand into other areas with time (Hoping my retirement years extend a ways out yet! :-)). I've been woodworking since high school (35 years ago) and have a complete shop with many differing power tools (e.g. very experienced woodworking) and room to add more.

The questions for which I'd appreciate advice/guidance from those in this group with experience using Shopbot for their personal businesses are these:

(1) In addition to the Shopbot/Spindle/Software costs, what are some of the other costs I'll need to be aware of in getting started?

(2) How long does it take to become proficient with the software for the Shopbot [e.g. VCarve & Aspire (for 3D)]

(3) How long does it take to program/ perfect an advanced 3D design to replicate military-type emblems (e.g. Navy, Army, Marines, etc.)?

(4) What are some of the challenges you've run into in turning CNC Shopbot work into a commercial venture?

While I've woodworked for decades and spent many years as a software programmer, I know that there are always new twists and turns when venturing into new terrain. I certainly appreciate your insights regarding the questions above.

Happy to join the group and I hope I can repay with advice and guidance as I learn more in this area! Thanks!