Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 3D printed dust shoe

Thumbs up 3D printed dust shoe

Here is is... yet another dust shoe design.

I have a PRS 96x48 and I had the Kent dust shoe which was great, but I added an air drill. As many of you have discovered you can't use the Kent shoe no matter which way you turn it if you add an air drill.

Aside from CNC machining, I do a lot of 3D printing and CAD design so I decided to make my own. The way the PRS is setup it's actually really hard to get a direct air hose near the spindle the way everything is packed in there.

The goals I had for this design is that it have a magnetic removable set of brushes for easy bit changes. I also wanted it to be as high as possible so I can still use clamps, and I also wanted to avoid the crushed hose. Here's the result:

https://youtu.be/B8kaQult6EY

IMG_20171202_132834.jpg

Miller Marine Products, Ridgefield Washington

Very nice design!!
    WWW.MillerMarineProducts.com
    Proto Trak DPM CNC Bed Mill
    Brand X Industrial router
    Sharp SVL-2416SE-M VMC

Hmm. Interesting. Maybe something like that would work for me. I have an older 4x8 PrtAlpha (?) with a router and a Dewalt drill that the previous owner used for 32 mm cabinets. Can't get a hose in anywhere either. Neat idea.

Thanks Gundog! I wish they didn't take so long to print or I'd make a few more

Jim, I have no idea if this would fit a PRT, I've never seen one in person.

what percentage area increase did you use when going from 4" round to square.

why did you use 2 90 degree bends instead of a 45 or minimal resistance gentle curve

nice job though

The cross section of the wide and flat areas have the same surface area as a 4" round circle. This was done to not restrict airflow as much as possible . The reason for the tight bends is to get the duct up and out of the way of the table (and any clamps) as soon as possible. Had I done a gradual angle I would have increased the area that I couldn't use clamps.

It performs great and I have no doubt that a slightly smoother curve would be a little better ... But I can't imagine it would be that much.

I could just print another duct....

Nice job
    How long did it take to print?
    Tim
    Tim Lucas Custom Woodworks
    www.TLCW.us

There's probably about 20 hours of printing there. To make it a functional part I printed it very dense which increases the print time a lot

Do you have an account on any of the 3d printing repository sites, such as thingiverse.com?

What printer do you have? I have a Makergear M2 and have built an MPCNC as a large format printer and laser engraver.

I haven’t made accessory parts for my SB with it, but the combo of SB and 3d printer makes for cool projects.

I have a variety of printers. Currently I'm running an Ultimaker 2+ Extended. That's where I did the big yellow parts. I like this printer because on big stuff like this I can swap the nozzle out for a larger one. This means I can put out more material faster. So on these parts I did 2 shells, but I did it with a .08 nozzle. The parts are surprisingly heavy. I've also got a couple of Makerbots and a Dremel 3D40. I did the smaller parts (the blue connectors and the spindle lock ring) on the Makerbot and Dremel. Those have standard .04mm nozzles. Every part was done in PLA.

I posted it up on Thingiverse if you want to check it out

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2686415