Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 3D printed dust shoe

Miller Marine Products, Ridgefield Washington

If at the first joint you made it angle up and make the round portion there would that work? That would make the part much shorter and faster to print. You might need to make it an inch or two longer to the first joint then maybe about a 30* angle with the round portion at that point. Just a thought. This suggestion is only if you wanted to make some for sale otherwise the one you made should serve you well as is.

Mike
    WWW.MillerMarineProducts.com
    Proto Trak DPM CNC Bed Mill
    Brand X Industrial router
    Sharp SVL-2416SE-M VMC

Nice job on the foot. 3D printing is great for making tubular products difficult to make any other way. I love being able to make adapters and other little fixins.

It's often hard to quantify dust shoe performance without any means of measuring the results - other than how well it sucks up chips by observation. It would be interesting to know the measured airflow characteristics of each shoe in comparison to one another. That would take a properly set up manometer and vacuum gauge.

Interesting that you show your shoe now - just last week I was complaining to myself about how much the stock foot lacks in terms of convenience and performance (I'd always complained...but getting to the point of doing something about it now ). I started designing a new one that takes advantage of the spindle rotation and tangential dust port to gain some cyclonic action, plus eliminating long bristles or at least using very short ones.

I haven't done any airflow testing yet, but I've always been curious about how a dust collector would perform against a decent shopvac (or a few Lighthouse motors). The shopvac has a fraction of airflow, but develops more suction & I think increased air velocity which could be used to help get a cyclone going at the foot. Of course, the issue with shopvacs has always been that their filters clog up so easily - but with a dust deputy or other cyclone in between, it could be a contender. Pulsing the tube with a rotary valve of sorts, can also help because it increases vacuum. This is something big commercial systems do.

I'm no expert on airflow, but it seems to me that 2hp+ 1200 CFM of dust collector should be more effective than it is - and I know for sure part of that is to do with the foot design. My question (redundant - because it could be measured) is, when the dust collector is running, how much vacuum is generated vs airflow? How much airflow is really needed, and in turn, how much suction is needed for effective chip extraction? How much free air needs to be modulated at the inlet to balance CFM and suction & keep the DC from just cavitating & the fringe/bristles from sucking in? These questions are a lot like universal vacuum hold down where you just throw 10-15+ horsepower at it and forget about not having enough...If anything, it piques my curiosity because there is mass inefficiency going on.

I thought it would be interesting to discuss these types of things because I know I'm probably not the only one thinking about them as the machine runs and chips rooster tail out the side of the skirt

More later when I get my foot done...If it wasn't for these customers, I could work on my own stuff!

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Would 2 45's be better smoother transition

It's really smooth the way it is:

2017-12-03 at 5.38 PM.jpg

I don't think I'd gain much (if anything) by doing 45s. I wanted to get the pipes up and out of the way as soon as possible.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Waiting for my trapped post to show up...

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Booo. I'm interested to see it. You've got your advanced degree in dust foots and vacuum tables don't you?

I love the scientific approach Brady. I've had some of the same anecdotal observations as you... ShopVacs have great suction, but probably not a lot of volume. Perhaps because they are sucking through a smaller opening?

I've detached my 4" air hose from my 1200 CFM dust collector before to use as a floor vac and while it works, it's not as impressive as I thought it would be given the numbers.

I'd love to measure the actual performance of one dust shoe over another... All I can say is that my "seat of the pants" analysis says that this is about 20% better than my Kent shoe, and far better than my ShopBot shoe. To be fair to the ShopBot shoe I think I had always been missing some sort of foam ring in between the foot and the spindle.

Brady, I posted the files above if you want to print this thing out. All you need after the prints are some 1/2" x .125" rare earth machines and a a handful of #4 machine screws with nylock nuts.

Thanks Eric - The foot you have won't fit either of my machines...plus I have my own design in the works to cover both 2D & 3D type of work. The original PRT foot was stationary. Set it to the top of the material and that's where it stayed (most of the time) - but it was a horrid design. SB redesigned the PRS foot for a few reasons...the first of which was to always keep the spinning bit covered for safety reasons. Worked OK for flat work but for non-clipart 3D stuff it has a tendency to gouge and get tripped up on the edges of material.

I use a little shopvac on the DT and it works fairly well except for when there is heavy cutting along the edges of the spoilboard - a problem with all of the designs. Putting a flat plane plenum in the foot does help in these situations.

I'll post more after I get some time to mess with it...

-B

Here's a shot of the shoe in action:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZjdPgdPXXxStnEKH3

I switched over to bristles instead of the clear stuff. Even better chip cleanup.

Eric, Your dust shoe is exactly what I need. I purchased a 5 x 10 Alpha w/ HSD and dual air drills. I was not aware that the dust shoe would not fit until it arrived.
    Any idea on how I could get one made? I have no experience with 3D printers. What should something like this cost to have made and where would I go yo get one?
    Thanks, Tom