Thread: Bit PCL583659 1/16" Ball V Carve

Hybrid View

Default Bit PCL583659 1/16" Ball V Carve

I am new to Shopbot and mostly doing Hardwood sign work at the moment. I did some lettering with the PCL583659 on oak and Pecan wood plaque and experiencing fuss around the cut. Does anyone know of a version of this bit in a downcut ? If so would it help with this issue on wood. I slowed the cut rate to 1/sec down for 3 . No big difference.

There's no such animal as a downcut ball unless you get one custom ground...even so, the geometry of the bit will not cure the problem.

Small bits NEED high RPM to shear off the material cleanly. My suggestion is to crank the RPM all the way up (assuming 18k...faster is better) and keep your feed rate somewhere in the 1 to 1.5 IPS range.

Some materials are just stringy or hairy from time to time - oak being no exception. I've carved my fair share of stringy oak...Even boards made from the same tree can show a condition where one machines beautifully and the next is a stringy mess. It happens. We all want 'finish ready' work coming off the machine, but sooner or later you have to break out the sandpaper - or maroon scotch pad (for 3D). Such is life working with natural materials.

Be sure to 3D raster parallel to the grain. Going across the grain will amplify the problem, as will offset.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

I run a 1/4 inch down spiral ball mill: Amana Tool 46476 Solid Carbide Double Flute Down-Cut Ball Nose Spiral 1/8 R x 1/4 D x 1 CH x 1/4 SHK x 2-1/2 Inch Long Router Bit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0112THXPC..._fgdkAbX48R8RV

It's great for making radiused pockets

Hmm...Interesting! Thanks for the link.

I'd like to hear/see a comparison/follow-up for those testing them out on a 3D relief compared to a 2-flute ball end mill in the same piece of wood, diameter, settings etc. Who's up to the challenge?

This could be the answer to fuzzies...but I'm not holding my breath

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

I'm not entirely sure that it's an answer to the above problem, but it might be. I just figured you'd want to know it existed. I got this bit because I was making some cutting board channels. It never occurred to me that something like this wouldn't exist. Thanks Amazon!
    '

Hmm, if they had a 0.125" and 0.0625" diameter, I'd try one.
    Scott