Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: another unique shop helper

That's a pretty cool idea.
    Tom Bachman,
    Drafting/Woodworking Instructor RETIRED!
    Lakin, Kansas

2001 PRT4896
    https://i.imgur.com/xWEFfDk.jpg

Yeah - neat idea. Jose Jalapeno would approve...

Of course you probably need a very smooth floor and good casters...getting hung up would suck.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Gotta have one.
    Now.
    Would consider building my own, but the rubber hemisphere is the catch...

jeff

Quote Originally Posted by jTr View Post
    Gotta have one.
    Now.
    Would consider building my own, but the rubber hemisphere is the catch...

jeff
    Maybe a slice of a soft rubber ball over a wooden hemisphere.

I just built a height-adjustable tilting table cart that picks up vertically stored sheets with vacuum and can be used with one hand. Surely not as compact as the one in the video but since shop carts are all the rage lately maybe I should take a picture of that and post as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Burkhardt View Post
    Maybe a slice of a soft rubber ball over a wooden hemisphere.

I just built a height-adjustable tilting table cart that picks up vertically stored sheets with vacuum and can be used with one hand. Surely not as compact as the one in the video but since shop carts are all the rage lately maybe I should take a picture of that and post as well.
    Yep. Please do. Aging muscles and bones need help. My other problem is tight spaces in a basement shop using 5x5 panels.

X2 on pics...you usually do nice work

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Getting hung up sucks with any cart but he did show going in & out the door which looked a little rough. Maybe a piece of leather for the sphere.
    X3 on pics.

O.K., took some pics before it got dark. I am also planning to do a video to show how it works but that has to wait until I come back from a trip in January.

This is the cart in horizontal position. There is also the little brother on top, a 1:2 scale model that I built first to test the concept. The full size cart will get a set of retractable rollers for easier sliding off the sheets. I had planned to reverse the vacuum (i.e. use it as a blower to levitate the sheets but that does not work as well as I thought.

This is the cart in vertical position (actually can lean somewhat beyond vertical). That way it can pick up vertically stored sheets off the floor without lifting. I can swing back horizontally with one hand.

Portable vacuum source, a battery operated handheld vac (B&D 20V Lithium). It has maybe only 2" Hg vacuum but due to the large table surface it can easily hold 1.5" thick sheets. When not on the cart it is useful to clean some machine and tools.

Locking mechanism to make it stable horizontal table:

There is a little more work to do like the mentioned retractable rollers and to synchronize the two lifting screws with a bike chain so that both ends go up and down together. But hey, I just retired from my day job and can really focus on wood working now...
    Not sure how this project will end up but just to be safe I filed a provisional patent application.

That's a nice looking cart. Thanks for sharing the pics. Can't wait to see the video. Nice touch with the vacuum.