Quote Originally Posted by Brady Watson View Post
Gert - I'd love to get away with 3/8" hose and couplings, but the plumbing has to be sized for the pump CFM. In my case about 200 CFM, where 2" is what the engineering charts point to for free air flow. ...

-B
Wow, that is a lot of volume for pods and the skinny hose surely won't do. In my case I have only a high vacuum GAST pump that does maybe 4 cfm but I have used it successfully for custom shaped pods up to 15" x 20" or maybe double that size when 2 pumps are used.

I have modified my 36"x48" 80/20 table (consisting of 3-slot 4515 extrusions) that a few of the middle slots are closed (thin aluminum flashing taped on) and act as the vacuum conduit. I can punch a hole anywhere along the slot and only need a re-usable non-stick gasket (cut from foam-type drawer liner) to hold down a board for one-sided work, no real "pod" needed. I even hold down the indexer and tailstock or the machine vise that way when used. But that would not work as well for your high volume vac system.

When using any aluminum table on a steel frame, keep in mind the thermal expansion of aluminum is twice the expansion of steel and for an 8' long machine that can become substantial. It can be 10-15/1000" difference for a 20 deg F change which does not sound much but could bow the table when not allowed to move relative to each other (e.g. mounted on standoffs).