Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New from Tennessee

20171211_105656.jpg24774892_10215140300919225_1541626588580295796_n.jpg

I thought this control system was the most mismatched part of the unit. Again lots of potential but a huge learning curve to get the bugs worked out. This is another example of needing a replacement but unsure what is needed that will work with the current machine. I am a firm believer if something ain't broke don't fix it. It is never going to be as great as the new machines on the market. Operational is more my objective as opposed to optimization. Thanks for all the help. Your input already has me looking at possible solutions to the known issues.
    Last edited by Bank Walker; 12-20-2017 at 02:59 AM.

As I have followed this forum for some time I find that most of the issues with 'reassembles' is that of grounding. Make sure your machine has really good ground connections as this will help to minimize 'some' of the reassemble gremlins.

Welcome to the forum. It's a great bunch of craftsman. Russ
    AKA: Da Train Guy

Hey when you get it up and running again just take it slow and learn then when you can afford to upgrade or purchase a newer used machine then you will have some more knowledge to put with it.

My machine is an older unit and when I got it running I found the Z plate was wore enough that I could not adjust the rollers tight but I used it and just accepted the fact my accuracy was not as good as I wanted. Saved some money up and purchased a used Z upgrade, much better now but I still run the PC router. Saving some more money up and hope to someday get an alpha with spindle.

The key is you have to start somewhere and I have seen some purchase a brand new machine, get frustrated trying to learn and just give up so its not the machine that drives your use but your knowledge.

Have fun
    Tim
    Tim Lucas Custom Woodworks
    www.TLCW.us

It's OK if your machine is not ShopBot Standard. Many over the years have modified their mills for various reasons in ways that SB didn't. Sometimes, SB liked those mods so much they adopted them. Regardless-Welcome to the fold. We who have lived with and love the epitome of Tinker Toy CNC's welcome you.

Thanks for the kind welcome , it ain't all gloom and doom. I have lots of help. A friend within minutes drive that has built several. Another member here has offered advice before I ever joined. The seller, who moved 4 or 5 times and moved this machine and reassembled it each time, has offered to advise as needed. We talked today for a hour about the y axis leadscrew swap to a rack and pinion. My middle son is a computer tech guru and my baby boy is an electrical engineer with computer code experience.

I am off for a week. I plan to assemble, test and trouble shoot as needed. I saw it in service. I plan to see what I can live with and what I can not. The control system is my weakest link as far as having a plan. Replacing the router or setting up a spindle comes in a distant third behind the y axis and the control boards. The Lazy Cam software is my final piece of the puzzle that will be upgraded after it is at a good operating level. This is just a hobby type deal. Maybe use a few days a month. We have a small mom and pop type business only open 5-6 months a year. Once I build the stores inventory with some signs and stuff it will just be used to fill orders or inventory sells. Nothing major.

Thanks again. I am sure I will have tons of stupid questions.

On the toolpath/design software, if you can swing it, you would be miles ahead by getting at least Vectric's VCP (you need a Christmas present ). LazyCam is part of Mach3 and is not a design program, but is an importer of .dxf files for toolpath generation. This will lead to much frustration and only hinder your road ahead. Besides that, it's deadware. I see that your Mach3 install is set to use the good screen set by Gerry (Ger21), that will help with using Mach3 by limiting much of Mach3's clutter.

If you need to stay with the controller as is for the time being, an upgrade to it would be to drop Mach3 and the parallel port and update it to Ethernet and UCCNC (Gerry has a good screenset for it also). You can then run up to windows 10 with it if desired. I've been running it on a small machine with a previously Mach3 setup controller and the motion is better than Mach3 due to better trajectory planning in the constant velocity settings. Mach3 was always a struggle to get it set right to run the machine well without rounding corners of parts. Since your tool is slower, it may not be as much of an issue.
    Scott

^^^^^^^
    Solid gold advice right there kids...

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Thanks for the info. I do not understand what some of it means yet but I am learning. I know it important and I plan to write all these ideas down. My big issue is I do not know what it was like new. I only know the now but even unsure what is good or bad. It's like learning a new language from a text book. I've been reading about updates they had for this system and how much of the tech over the years has progressed so quickly that the company had to stop supporting the systems so they could concentrate on newer technology.

As I understand it it has a 32 bit system. So, this in itself limits my upgrades without totally gutting it. Time w I'll tell.

I have been looking at getting v carve pro as a design program.

First welcome.
    Second where in TN I'm in cookeville and have 3 shopbots.
    Last if I can help feel free to reach out.

The machine looked similar to this when new:

shopbot-prt-96.jpg (click to expand)

and the control box, if the 4G version, would have looked like an ATX case, with toroid power supply (like your box has now) guts like the attached pic. This is circa 2005 tech or older so...keep that in mind.

32 bit/64-bit doesn't really matter...

-B
    Attached Images Attached Images
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com