Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: New from Tennessee

Your decision to go with VCarve is a good one. You will eventually wind up with the full version of Aspire, and getting V Carve now will save a lot of time re-learning things down the line. I have bought VCarve and all of the upgrades as they have come along. You might think about getting the full version as a money saver down the line. You can use it, as it comes to you, to drive just about any CNC machine in the marketplace today.
    One thing you have to be able to do with precision is return the bit to the 0,0 position and to zero the Z axis reliably.
    I am a user of the Shopbot SB3 setup and so I can.t help with control inputs. What I can tell you is that there should be limit switches on your machine. There is a routine native to the SB3 software that will use those switches to send the carriage to 0,0 with good accuracy. You need something like that so that you can always get the tool to a known point quickly.
    As a for instance - I want to cut 20 "No Parking" signs.
    I would set up a couple of rails on my table so that I can put the piece of stock in the same place every time and use clamps to hold it in position. I would then issue the command to zero the bit to the table coordinates for 0,0. Then move the bit to the 0,0 position FOR THE MATERIAL I AM GOING TO CUT. Record the x and y coordinates and then set the cutting program to 0,0.
    Now I can return the bit to the zero position for the sign, by using those X and Y coordinates, quickly and with good accuracy.
    This turns out to be more important than you think it might be. The same holds true for the Z axis.

Yes, I think that is a huge hole in my knowledge base. Like how to get the machine back to home, with one button push. Mach3 is my program and I am still learning. I need to watch lots of videos. i did not get any instruction manuals with the cnc. Plus it has so much that has been changed.

0423181808.jpg

Practice attempts # 2 and 3. I did run the programs on a 1×12 also but I gave it away to a friend that is tutoring me on how to use the programs and the machine. Not like he needs it or anything but at least I have some results. Might try it one more time before I move on to a different practice project. We created 3 more yesterday and each requires a tool change or two. I figured out how the system remembers positioning of x, y and z.

Project # 2. 20180424_180109.jpg

20180424_204038.jpg

Stained and poly