Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New toy, could not resist

Default New toy, could not resist

Wandering the aisles of a German home improvement warehouse I found this Bosch EasyCut12 battery powered saw. It is technically a chainsaw but the chain is really tiny with a 2.5" long blade and about 0.06" kerf. I have not seen it on the US market but that may only be a matter of time.

It can do basically what a jigsaw can do with the pro of no vibration and reciprocating action but the con of limited curve radius due to the blade width (and rather expensive blade/chain replacements). Pretty powerful cutting as far as my experiments on hidden areas of my guest quarter's furniture go. I read most people actually use it for bush/tree pruning or detail chainsaw carving.

Anyway, just wanted to share because I find it a cool (if not cute) new toy. I will see back home if it is really useful.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hmmm.
    I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for news of somebody from California arrested for carrying a lethal weapon in their carry-on luggage
    I'll be thinking of what I could use it for, for days now
    Bet I'd be dangerous to myself with that
    Safe travels Gert!
    scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

You dirty, dirty dog!

I was just looking at them a few weeks back & the only way to get one was to import it (or international seller on Ebay) - I couldn't justify it for myself, gave some thought to getting it for Dad, but decided to pass.

It is a pretty sweet little tool. It would come in real handy for carpentry work when you have to deal with existing old work, but I think it would only be used intermittently.

Might work as a mortising attachment on the CNC after you bore the hole to square it up...

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Brian H is gonna love that thing!

Brady, you can save your money.

I did some practical testing of that micro-chainsaw and came to the conclusion (as you suspected) that applications are very limited. CNC did not even come to my mind because that would require an indexer mounted to the z-carriage. I had thought it could be used e.g. for plunge cutouts in cabinets or furniture and making free-hand mortise holes. In a way it can actually do that but it rips a lot of splinters and chips out of the surface and when doing a plunge cut through a sheet, there is a good chance for the downward side of the chain catching, which can jerk the saw out, jam or even rip the chain. Happened to me once.

It works quite well for a simple cut through a board but for that I have already a bunch of tool options with cheaper blades. I think I will keep the saw for some odd jobs and bush pruning. Not even suitable for a chainsaw massacre

The good news is that the charger work fine at 120V, although it is specified for 220-240 V.

Bummer!

I guess the whole allure was the mini chainsaw...a marvel of modern technology. Maybe it needs more power???

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Needs more power you say!
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by srwtlc View Post
    Ha ha! 'Merica son!

-B

Darn,
    I was thinking the Amish who do bentwood furniture would have a new battery powered tool in their arsenal for trimming their branches
    Of course their batteries would have to be recharged by diesel gen/wind/water generated power(not sure if solar is allowed).
    scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Quote Originally Posted by srwtlc View Post
    Nah, not a power issue. This is a modern pretty powerful 12V lithium system and I got the motor to rip up the chain when it jammed.

But it is a real chain saw, if a tiny one, with all its capabilities and limitations. I am still fascinated how they can manufacture that chain with miniature links and joint pins that can hardly be more than 10/1000".

Scott, maybe the Amish can use a pedal operated generator to charge it?