Thread: Shopbot Buddy for Sale

Default Shopbot Buddy for Sale

Buddy with 24" x 32" table. PRT v 4.17 board. 3" powder coated steel frame and double gantry. 3 1/4 HP Porter Cable router. Vexta stepper motors. Proximity switches. Dust boot. Everything works and it seems to be a good tight machine. It would need to be picked up in Austin, Texas. $3,620IMG_3199.JPGIMG_3202.jpgIMG_3200.JPG

FYI, this is not a Buddy, but a ShopBot Standard Benchtop, the predecessor to the Buddy. The model shown is a late model as indicated by the AL extrusions.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Thank you Brady. I will amend the post. I bought it about 4 years ago and was told it was a Buddy. I assumed they had just changed the Buddy design.

Brady has indicated this is Benchtop Standard rather than a Buddy. I haven't figured out how to edit the original posting yet. Thanks, Jim

Hi Brady, I was told this was about a 2007 model. Does that seem right to you or is there anyway to check?
    Thanks

Hi JBurton,
    Yes, that appears about right from the parts on it. From what I can see, it appears to have a 4G control box which has better motor drivers and smoother operation than previous models and generations (4th Gen). You may find a date of manufacture on the control board inside the control box. Just remove the 2 screws on the ATX case and have a look. It will be a white printed Avery style label on the board itself.

So that you have an understanding of what a 4G PRT Benchtop looks like (what you have) in comparison to a 3rd Gen PRT, have a look at this thread HERE. Note the gold utility strut instead of the aluminum extrusions + 4-roller Z axis compared to your 4G with 8 rollers.

Functionally speaking, the PRT (Personal Robotic Tool) Benchtop you have is very similar to the first generation PRS (Personal Robotic System) Buddy 32, first sold in 2008. The PRS is a 'system' because it includes a table or stand, whereas PRTs were sold with either the table or stand as an option...full size tools got from the X rails up & Benchtops without a stand, which is probably how yours was sold as it is missing a gusseted ShopBot blue lower frame...and there is no shame in that - it IS called a 'BenchTop' for a reason.

As far as selling it, you may want to consider giving the new customer some training on it to sweeten the deal. I've found when a customer is confident they can do it on their own and get their questions answered, everyone can sleep better after the deal is done.

Hope that helps...

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Quote Originally Posted by Brady Watson View Post
    Hi JBurton,
    Yes, that appears about right from the parts on it. From what I can see, it appears to have a 4G control box which has better motor drivers and smoother operation than previous models and generations (4th Gen). You may find a date of manufacture on the control board inside the control box. Just remove the 2 screws on the ATX case and have a look. It will be a white printed Avery style label on the board itself.

So that you have an understanding of what a 4G PRT Benchtop looks like (what you have) in comparison to a 3rd Gen PRT, have a look at this thread HERE. Note the gold utility strut instead of the aluminum extrusions + 4-roller Z axis compared to your 4G with 8 rollers.

Functionally speaking, the PRT (Personal Robotic Tool) Benchtop you have is very similar to the first generation PRS (Personal Robotic System) Buddy 32, first sold in 2008. The PRS is a 'system' because it includes a table or stand, whereas PRTs were sold with either the table or stand as an option...full size tools got from the X rails up & Benchtops without a stand, which is probably how yours was sold as it is missing a gusseted ShopBot blue lower frame...and there is no shame in that - it IS called a 'BenchTop' for a reason.

As far as selling it, you may want to consider giving the new customer some training on it to sweeten the deal. I've found when a customer is confident they can do it on their own and get their questions answered, everyone can sleep better after the deal is done.

Hope that helps...

-B
    Thank you Brady. I've learned more from you in an hour than I had in the last 4 years. That is super helpful and good advice. I seem to be unable to edit my original posting so I guess I'll just do a new, corrected one.

This is Sold and am unable to delete the post. Sorry.