Thread: Something to ponder........

Default Something to ponder........

Which was invented first......The screw or the screwdriver?
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

One of the things I am in to is clocks. It is interesting to work on a clock from the mid 1800's when they did not have anything such as automatic screw machines. What a skilled workman can do with posts and pegs is remarkable.
    Obviously the screw came first.

The pump came first...

Archimedes_screw.JPG
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

The screw came first as you can't drive something that isn't there. just like under ware you can't have under ware without something to go over it.

Miller Marine Products, Ridgefield Washington

I once asked a nuclear physicist from Dartmouth University the age old question "if a tree falls in a forest and there is no one there does it make a sound" being a young smartass Lineman. He explained how noise is created and wave lengths, Etc, Etc. At the end of his well meaning explanation I went from smartass to dumbass. he was a great guy but had no sense of humor. He was doing a study on the effects of EMF on my crew we did barehand transmission work for the power company. We were outfitted with Gauss meters that measured the magnetic field of the lines he video tapped us and created a lot of graphs and so on.

I can't tell that story without this one. We were working on a large cattle ranch where the lines were located and had to go through a series of gates to get to the towers we were working on. The low guy on the crew usually has to open and close the gates as we drive through the
    physicist we called him Phiz said he wanted to open the gate we all look at each other and say sure. It was painful to watch he could not get the gate open he couldn't figure out how it worked. Finally one of the guys jumps out and shows him how the gate works. When we get to the next gate he says I will get this one we look at each other again and say OK. He opens the gate OK we drive through and he closes the gate we are all watching but he is now on the wrong side of the gate the look on his face was priceless and we all got a good laugh. When we got to the job site I asked him the question above that is when I learned a lesson on smarts we all have our own level at different subjects.
    WWW.MillerMarineProducts.com
    Proto Trak DPM CNC Bed Mill
    Brand X Industrial router
    Sharp SVL-2416SE-M VMC