Thread: Resurface cutter pattern question

Default Resurface cutter pattern question

Novice here. 2 questions:

I resurfaced my top and have a cut pattern at my 0,0 0,48 corners. The opposite coners are fine. Any input 'why' it is and seconly how do I address it?

I've had my table for a year and have not gone through squaring it per ShopBot instructions. I use vCarve and am not experienced using code.

An assist would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    IMG_2890.JPGIMG_2891.JPG

Your router is not perfectly plumb you should adjust it. I use a piece of mirror or glass and use a z shaped piece of rod chucked in the router and bring it down till it just about touches the glass. slowly spin it by hand and see where it either touches or is farther away from the glass. Adjust the router so it is the same distance all the way around

Like Jerry said. Depending on the results you want, you need to take the time to make sure the router/spindle is PERFECTLY aligned to be EXACTLY 90 degrees to the table. Otherwise you will get the results you see.
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

Default leveling screws

It has been a while since I saw the thread,

but I remember one guy adding some brackets and set screws to his Z axis so he could micro-adjust his Z in the XY planes... sort of like leveling a pool table ... never did add this to mine but looked like a great idea.
    The decimal point seems to be the most important on the z axis... x & y not so much....
    ShopBot... Where even the scraps and things you mess up and throw away are cool....

Hello Djed..... Not to be a party pooper, but I believe that if everything else on your machine were perfect, that the router being out of square would produce the same pattern of markings at all four corners. These systems can get really confusing to figure out, and must admit I have had similar problems that I could never fully resolve.

I use a mechanical dial indicator, mounted on a trammel arm chucked into my spindle collet. And despite spending hours, using super thin shims, I could never get a full rotation of the trammel arm without variations in the dial indicator. (Off hand, I don't recall my readings, as this was a couple of years ago.)

Then, feeling that I had readings as good as I could get, I'd move the spindle to some other spot on the table, and re-check my trammel readings, only to find they were far different then just a couple of feet away. (Again, I'm being vague with numbers, as I don't recall any longer (though they are probably in one of my past posts.....)

It was recommended that I check my pinions for tightness and wear, and I replaced them. Things were still off.

Some suggested my spoil board was loose, and, well, as I noted, it can get very difficult to figure out what to do.

At least take notes on what you do, and what you discover, as it may help others. And, I would suggest that you populate your personal information fields, so people can tell where you are located. Maybe you have a super helpful, expert shopbot user close by, who could offer assistance......

Good luck,,,,,,,,,,,,, Chuck
    Chuck Keysor (circa 1956)
    PRT Alpha 60" x 144" (circa 2004)
    Columbo 5HP spindle
    Aspire 9.0, Rhino 5