Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air Diverter PC 7518

Default Air Diverter PC 7518

I was reading in older posts that there is a air diverter to put of my Porter Cable 7518 router to help keep the exhaust air from blowing dust around and out of my dust boot.

Does anyone know where to get one or how to make one?

Thanks.

Not sure they still make them. From what I remember it was just a piece of thermoformed ABS that was held on with a big hose clamp.

I've seen others make them out of an 'old deli container'

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Default toy department air deflector

My air deflector was made from a lid off a "Nascar Lego toy" that came in a round box about five inches in diameter... it looks like a plastic tire. Fits perfectly.

Tried to 2x tape it on first and then went to three pieces of light chain.

or it you go to a toy department, you might find a small 5 to 6 inch plastic "Frizbee" that may work...
    The decimal point seems to be the most important on the z axis... x & y not so much....
    ShopBot... Where even the scraps and things you mess up and throw away are cool....

There was one posted a few years back. Specially made for the PC router. Tupperware was the brand. (sorry, had to do that)
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com
    Servo Controller Upgrades
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1

"We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them"
    Albert Einstein

Made mine from a Folgers coffee can lid (plastic). Cut 3 holes in to mount to the router. Worked great.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I started this thread because I was trying to improve my dust boot. The exhaust from the router over powers any suction that I have from the dust boot. I read the older post and Shop Bot had one but says they don't sell it any more. So I guess I will take all of your suggestions and see what I can come up with.

I would like to see how others are building dust boots though.

Thanks guys.

The diverter is just donut shaped. Just draw up a donut with hole pattern to bolt to the bottom of the router and use some spacers or stand offs to space it away from covering up the cooling ports. That will direct the air sideways. If you want to direct the air up, you'll have to dish out the donut so the air flow goes to the outside of the disc and curves up. It isn't any more complicated than that!

You could probably make something good enough out of MDF or whatever scrap you have laying around. It isn't anything fancy. The one SB sold was thin thermoformed ABS...There's no WRONG way to make it, unless you cover up the cooling holes and don't give the air a place to go out.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Thanks a lot. I can always count on someone coming up with solutions. Thanks again, I will try all of these when I get a chance.

I bought mine from ShopBot many years ago. They used to show them in their sales price list. I would contact them and see if any are still available. I don't use the PC router any more (thank goodness) but If I did go back to the PC, I wouldn't run it with out the diverter, it worked great!!...joe

I checked with ShopBot and they said they don't have them anymore. Thanks.