Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Medical problems in shop

Default Medical problems in shop

How many on here have a colostomy or urostomy bag to deal with in the wood shop??? What are some of the things to watch out for and what dangers are there? How long were you down and unable to work in the shop. I Have a tumor on My bladder, at this point I do not know how bad or if it is cancer, My Doctor told me that more than likely for what he saw that they would most likely take my bladder...
    www.tgdesigns.net
    eking1953@yahoo.com

HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS IS A LABORER.
    HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS AND HEAD IS A CRAFTSMAN.
    HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS, HIS HEAD AND HIS HEART IS AN ARTIST.
    ST. FRANCIS OF ASSISI

Gene,

Sorry to hear of your medical problems. My hope for you is for a speedy recovery!

God bless!

J

Thanks need info on how it effects working in shop.
    www.tgdesigns.net
    eking1953@yahoo.com

ST. FRANCIS OF ASSISI

I have had several major abdominal surgeries and can tell you a few things to watch out for.

Don’t overestimate how quickly you recover internally. On the outside, you may be “OK looking”, but the internals can take six times as long to heal.

What happens is you feel good and strong, then go to lift something heavy or you twist into an awkward position then, POP! you have given yourself a hernia at one of the operation sites. Whether split open or worked on laparoscopically, you will need to take great care from here on out when straining.

The problem is that your abs are incredibly strong and will gladly tear themselves to pieces at any weak point. This can send you right back to the operating table.

Another caution to watch for is infection caused by the operation. If you start having flu-like symptoms, especially fever or feel a bit loopy, please go check back with your doctor. External infection is easy to see, internal infection presents itself differently.

Post op, get back on your feet ASAP and start walking, do not lift weights, just walk and be as active as you can manage. This is not about “being fit” type of walking, this about blood and fluid circulation and infection fighting. I remember that I could only walk down the hall, but I did it, then down my short driveway, then down the street two houses, then down the block, around the block, and on and on, progressing over several weeks.

Also, take great care to manage your mental health. You may be struck with bouts of of depression or loneliness as you recover and others around you continue their normal lives. You may have permanent life changes ahead that will need acceptance and adaptation. Be patient with those around you, as they too are making adaptations to your new situation.

Be patient. Be proactive. Be on guard against infection. I cannot harp on this enough. It was not the operation that nearly killed me, it was the infection FROM the operation. Six months in a hospital bed is no joke.

I don’t want to scare you, just prepare you. My last operation was many years ago. I made a mostly full recovery (just occasional minor issues) and lead a fairly normal and happy life. I find great joy in the little things now.

Amen to all that willnewton said!
    I had the same situation ten years ago and thought that life was pretty much over for me. I had a great doctor who called the shots as they were and with his guidance I have lived a normal and very happy life for the past ten years.
    Working in the shop is good for your mental health, but the one most important thing for you in the coming year is getting over the hurdles that will be presented.
    Before surgery my doctor had me showering twice a day, for a week, and rubbing my whole crotch and groin down with beta dine just before getting out of the shower. At the time I thought he was overkilling the whole thing, but I did it. Now I have three friends who have had similar problems and had infection issues after the surgery. One lost a good portion of his penis to an infection that could not be cured.
    Hang in there, life is still fun and there is an unlimited supply of wood with which to make sawdust.

I worked with a "young" man several years ago in an underground coal mine that wore a colostomy bag. He did the same work as all the rest with no restrictions or complaints. Some of the work was heavy lifting and pulling and it was all very dirty. I don't know how his recovery went or how long it took but I would say that he was fully recovered. Sorry that you having medical trouble. Follow the Dr. orders and heed the advice of willnewton and tlempicke and you will be back in the show in no time.

Thanks Keep telling me thins... I real am scared for the first time in my life, I have never been down for very long and enjoy my wood shop.
    www.tgdesigns.net
    eking1953@yahoo.com

ST. FRANCIS OF ASSISI

Broke my back in '89, and been wearing a urinary leg bag since, and until 10 years ago even Dad didn't know I had one
    Unless you post on an international forum like this....No one will notice!
    Didn't experience many problems getting married/getting divorced/clearing house site/general'ing the house/spending a year and half on a road trip.....
    It certainly hasn't affected anything in the workshop!
    FOLLOW Dr's orders, keep a sharp eye on skin conditions and ANY sudden rises in fevers.....The Doctors will go through it all...just listen.
    You know where I live Eugene (and we even have phones in Maine!
    Worry about any problems WHEN they come...NOT before!
    Half the worries never happen, and the ones that do, aren't as bad as our vivid over-imaginations.
    Scott

OH, While in hospital I was masculinity challenged, and asked the Doc what people would think,
    He said "Do you normally invite people in to watch you pee?".........."Then don't change a goldurn thing!"

Gotta go select and cut a Walnut branch down in garage before temps take a dive again, so I can do some firewood surfacing again!
    Last edited by scottp55; 01-13-2018 at 10:31 AM.
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

I worked with an older fellow that did drug store remodels and new construction he had a Colostomy bag and it didn't stop him at all. He was also a golfer.

Miller Marine Products, Ridgefield Washington

I am sorry to hear about your health issues Gene I will pray for you sir.
    WWW.MillerMarineProducts.com
    Proto Trak DPM CNC Bed Mill
    Brand X Industrial router
    Sharp SVL-2416SE-M VMC