Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Inside square corner "over-cut?"

Insert....is the point dead center? Lower it to just scratch the material (make sure material is secure) and give it a spin. If it draws a point, good. If it draws a circle, bad. Remount the insert to get it to draw a tight point.
    Scott

My advice would be to step back....let's make things simple before getting into the door design.

Make a 1/2" x 3" rectangle & V-carve it with that same bit, with it spec'd out at 90.0 degrees. Does it come out right at the machine? If no, alter the angle with 2 more rectangles @ 89 & 91 degrees. Which looks better?

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Hey guys. I checked the insert and it's almost a perfect point. There is a tiny dot of raised material dead center. Hard to get much resolution in mdf! I might try a new carbide insert and see if wear has anything to do with it. Also, I have been making small adjustments using a 50mm square and retrying the cut(s) with mixed results.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Okay. My apologies fellas. Your collective posts got me to thinking. What possibly could have changed (beside the software) since the last time I tried this... Well, the Free Doors program required several tool changes using one spindle. With the new software, I had planned to take advantage of both spindles (and the air drill) for fewer tool changes. That's when it hit. I used to do the cuts with the "other" spindle. Tried with that one and it worked fine. Which, then led me to check set screws on the gear for the "A" vertical axis and there was some play. So, I'll have to set aside some time to pull it apart and "bend" some new allen wrenches. I'll use the "Z" to get through this job. I wish I could claim "newbie" mistake, but I can't. We just don't really use the bot very often and that's never happened before. So, in conclusion, sorry for wasting your time but thanks none the less. Kind Regards!

No worries - it happens!

If for nothing else, you posting this may prevent someone else from enduring misery & mystery - and give them another area to check.

It's been said a gajillion times - part of normal/regular machine operation is shaking down the tool in all directions, listening & feeling for play/slop.

PRTs are notoriously sloppy in the Z because the T-rails get worn causing it to come out of mesh with the pinion...PRSs get sloppy because the lower V-roller bearings are not adjusted properly, either because they were adjusted too tight from day 1 and roll forged the rail into the extrusion or just not bolted down tight enough.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com