Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgrading from VCarve 7.5 to 8 on used machine?

Default Upgrading from VCarve 7.5 to 8 on used machine?

Hey guys,

This is my very first post, and I'd like to thank you all for your input, one of the reasons I bought my ShoptBot was because of this killer forum. I just picked up a used Desktop for a steal and am absolutely in love. I built an enclosure for it and everything, I'll save that for another thread. Here's my questions:

The owner didn't have the thumb drive with the original ShopBot software but he did forward me the email from when he bought the machine in late 2014 and I was able to use that to download VCarve Pro 7.5. He forwarded me another email in which they upgraded the software to version 8.0 since he bought the Bot within the 12 month free upgrade period. This link seems to be dead, or at least comes up with an error, I've tried it on several computers and he tried it also. Is there a way for me to upgrade to version 8.0 that anyone knows of? If not I'll pay for the upgrade because I need to use the inlay function (I build guitars) and I like the features I experienced while using the trial version. I do have the license code for v8 but don't know where I can go to download the new software, any help is much appreciated!

Josh…
    My guess is you’ll get a new link when you pay the $50.00 license transfer fee…
    SG

Thanks Steve! I searched the Vectric site and found the link to transfer the license, I didn’t even know that was a thing. Thanks again-Josh

Josh...Don't forget to free upgrade to 8.5*** once you transfer...8.5 was a WONDERFUL upgrade
    Is your Desktop a 4"Z, or 5.5"?
    If 4", then you might want to contact Nate at Shopbot Sales, an inquire about the 5.5"Z retrofit...Makes it a LOT more useful!
    Welcome
    scott
    Oh, if it's the "Shopbot Edition" then you'll have to go through Nate anyways.
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Hey Scott! Thanks for the additional info, so if the VCarve is the shopbot edition then the transfer and update goes through Nate? That’s perfect, my interaction with shopbot has been excellent so far. It does have the 4” Z so I’m going to do the 5.5” retrofit. I wanted to go over to a spindle too but after building a full enclosure with dust control it is extremely quiet, and as far as accuracy goes on the practice inlay cuts I’ve done the router is more accurate than my hand inlays ever we’re so I think I’m going to stick with the router for a while.

I’ll be attending the training class this week, excited to learn everything I can from the experts!

Correct Josh...It's the same exact program as the full Vectric VCP, but only includes Shopbot's Post Processors, so it's cheaper to upgrade(maybe ask about VCP9 price? although 8.5 did all I needed)....Ask Nate whether you have to install VCP8, but if I remember right, VCP 8.5* was a stand alone download link, and you may be able to just do that?
    You'll need a straight down close-up pic of the Z-rail to get the right kit(although Nate might be able to tell from the original invoice from the previous owner?)...There were 2 different rails in 4"Z Desktops.
    GET a full set of replacement screws for the retro-fit! You may be able to use all the old screws, BUT on my machine I stripped 2 heads(second Desktops retro-fit went perfectly),never hurts to have the extras for future use.
    Retro-fit also gives you a Z proximity switch, which gives a really nice Z-Zeroing routine

Max and Lauri used the router set-up with their Desktop to do some Gorgeous work;
    http://www.girouardmandolins.com/

Have fun at the training! (Give TJ heck )
    Where are you located?
    scott
    scott P.
    Maine

I reached out to ShopBot about the transfer and upgrade of VCarve, and the upgrades to the machine, we'll see what they say. I also went ahead and ordered a plotter pen for drawing out shapes on project paper prior to cutting and a probe to measure and trace some existing guitar bodies and necks that I have. I think that I'm probably going to move up to V9, because the two sided machining is really nice for me, I would venture to say 90% of the work I do is double sided so it makes life easier than having two separate sessions for each project. I've got a pic of the z rail that I'll bring to class with me, hoping I can buy everything and bring it home with me, and thanks for the advice on the screws.

Those mandos are beautiful, I have the utmost respect for the people doing bracing and formed tops/sides/backs, I just build guitars out of (mostly) solid slabs of wood. I wanted a desktop max so I could run full necks in one pass, but I got such a great deal on this desktop that I figured I'd deal with the tiling for a bit while I learn the ins and outs of the machine, then I can upgrade at some point to the larger desktop version.

I'm from New Jersey, the farm/garden part, not the city/beach part. It's about a 6 hour drive for me to get to ShopBot headquarters but I think it will be well worth the training. What I've been able to glean from the forum, training videos and my time messing around with VCarve has been overwhelmingly good. I've only cut a few templates out of 3/4 ply and they've all come out perfectly so I'm excited to see what I can accomplish when I actually know what I'm doing!

So I'm gonna have to admit ignorance here... Even though the owners manual says 4" of Z travel my machine seems to already have 5.5", I'm still waiting to here back from Frank to verify but is my logic here sound? I have a 3/4" spoil board and a 1.5"/1.6" tool and I end up being able to achieve a little over 4" of upwards Z travel before I run out of room. It also has a Z proximity switch which from what I understand the 4" machines didn't have. So if this is all correct, then what is the purpose of the Z (or any) proximity switch? Because when I drive the Z upwards it still tops out and makes horrible noises, is there a way to set up the Z proximity to be a stop switch or is that not how they work? Man, I have a lot of learning to do

Josh,
    The only way it has the Z-Prox is if the person asked for it to be added at the factory(or did it themselves) on the 4"Z like we did.
    The 5.5" Z that came out as standard in April 2015(?) already had it installed.
    Sounds like you have the 5.5" with a 4" manual maybe.

Enter VN and make sure Limit Switches are "On" (ignore my switch settings as we had them mod us for 3 extra prox's and a fabbed spindle interlock that they had never done before and Gordon wired it differently).
    Run a TS (Tool Setup) again, and on the third page(?) checkmark the "I have Z proximity switch" box.
    If correct, then using the arrow key up...the machine simply stops when it hits prox.
    Then a Z-Zero routine will go down/touch plate twice/pause at whatever you have set for Safe-Z in VC (Value Cutter)/continue up to prox/then retract 1/8".
    NO hard stops(and saved my rear end just yesterday) and no lost position.

On spindles, the 4"Z had a dust shroud, that was eliminated with the 5.5"Z, but not sure what the router model looked like

Sales or support should have the info if you give them the original owners name.

Oh, on both our Desktops we found we could leave the alligator clip attached to the leveler leg, and when we touch plate to the bit(EVERY TIME) we get a green light on input 3 in SB3 panel....Not sure with router, but you may want to see if there's a place on your machine for the alligator clip to stay permanently where you get the green light continuity check. Green light= good to go.
    Saves a lot of time not having to clamp it on bit or the nut every time.
    Hope any of this helped..searched for pics,but they're either on my dead old laptop, or stored as CD.
    scott
    Attached Images Attached Images
    scott P.
    Maine

I also sent Frank my serial number and the original customer name to see what they can pull up. It might be possible that he (the original customer) told me the incorrect purchase date. I searched youtube for ShopBot Desktop and found some videos from 2014 and earlier with routers and they had the dust shield. This machine didn't have a dust shield and the original owner verified it never did, that along with the z-prox switch leads me to believe that he bought this more recently than he thought, which is good for me!

I'm going to play with all this stuff when I get back on Saturday, I'm leaving tomorrow around lunch time to plow through the snowstorm to Durham. All of the info you gave me has been extremely helpful and makes total sense, thanks again! I love the alligator clip trick too.

Two more questions for you, I see the extension on your bed, is that just for support or do you cut out there? And on your set up you have the x/y axis .5" larger than the bed and the z at 8", is there a reason for this or do you just do that so you get full travel and let the prox switched keep you from hard stops?