Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Spindle turning off during cut

You want an antenna.

Fold the bare wire over the hose @ the foot and put the clamp over it. Let it slap around inside the hose. Poke it out the other end and you can fold it over the same way - but it would be ideal to run a sheet metal screw right into the metal duct as long as you are 100% sure the dust duct is tied into the building's electrical ground.

Static can do weird things...Make sure you disable the proximity switches with the VN command. They are susceptible to static and are like long antennae themselves. This will not affect your C3/homing. Before you change the VN settings - As the machine is running - stare at input 2 & 3 - do they flicker? If so, that's from static.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

I find iti s easier to use hose with a built in wire. one end goes on the metal pipe. also I find if the hose touches the metal of the machine can cause issues.

Hose with wire molded into it is there for structural support - not grounding.

The metal wire is essentially insulated (just like electrical wire) in vinyl and therefore not suitable for grounding static. It's a common assumption that people make & unfortunately it causes them to THINK their system is properly grounded, when in fact it is not...so they chase their tails.

Bare copper wire...IN the hose was deemed the proper way to do it years ago by ShopBot.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

the grounding wire does not matter if it is on the outside or inside of the hose. it still works well. just like my antistatic shopvac hose. the static still gets to the wire. all you have to do is to touch a ungrounded hose on the outside to see the juice goes right through it.

“Hose with wire molded into it is there for structural support - not grounding.”

“the grounding wire does not matter if it is on the outside or inside of the hose”

You’re both right… and you’re both wrong!
    As we’ve all found out, static is funny and capricious! As to the static draining ability of a wire molded in a plastic hose, it depends on the design intent of the manufacturer… Plastic is an insulator when it’s sheathing electrical wires in your home because the type of plastic used was chosen for its insulating ability! When it’s in a flexible hose, it can either be an insulator or a conductor, depending on it’s design intent… static dissipative hose is much more expensive than “regular” hose and unless you intentionally bought it for its static conduction properties, likely it’s not!

Static electricity wants to travel or gather on the SURFACE of objects, which is why in a non-conductive flexible hose, inside is better than wire molded internal. A ½” copper pipe inside would be even better (more surface area) … but that would defeat the flexible part…

Part of the capricious nature of static is due to some insulators becoming conductors at higher voltages… The voltages involved are astounding! It takes about 3000 static volts for a human to even feel it! The TTL voltage levels to trigger an input on your control board are in the 5V range… It’s amazing it ever works at all!

SG

great info. it is a bit crazy. so far it has worked and once I kept the hose from touching the machine my problems I used to have have been defeated. I found a wire inside the hose just caught junk on it. I know I never get shocked on it and it does not crackle like the non wire ones I have to my table saw and such.

If you know enough to buy SD hose, then you wouldn't ever come here asking for grounding advice...which makes all that a moot point.

There are many examples of the preferred way mirrored online. Having consulted with actual shops having static grounding issues, all of which were resolved, BTW; I stand my my original recommendation of putting a bare copper wire INSIDE the dust hose. This is the most straightforward, reliable method to cure static-related issues on your machine. If you want to 'dare to be different', that's your right. Don't mislead people with caveats when they're looking for answers because their machine is down.

Further reading:
    Ensuring Proper Grounding of Fittings and Tubing for a Dust Collection System, Bill Pentz, Section G, Static Electricity , etc, etc. There are plenty more examples...

-B

The saga continues...still having problems.

Today was much warmer and actually wet. My first cut went fine. On the second one, several minutes into the cut the machine stuttered and resumed a few times ever so quickly. And a minute or so later all xyz movement stopped and the xyz readouts on SB3 were going haywire. On the third cut, it stuttered several times but never actually stopped, although the 3D portion of the cut was a mess. So I assume I lost some steps or something.

I've gone over all my computer settings, and best I can tell everything is set up fine. And I now have a bare copper wire running through the flex hose, coming out the top of the flex hose and wrapping around the exposed metal wire of the flex hose, continuing on to the metal ductwork, where it is secured in place with a sheet metal screw. I then have a bare copper wire running from the ductwork to the edge of an electrical box on my ceiling. The DC motor itself has an Oneida-provided ground wire running from the motor to the metal grate that covers the HEPA filter. I'm grounded, right?

I will say that sometimes, when there is slack in the DC flex hose, it ends up resting on the black plastic wire car on the gantry (you know, where the spindle cord etc run). Is that a potential cause of trouble?

Everything worked flawlessly until last Thursday.

I've been working with tech support, but I don't feel like we are getting anywhere. Ahhh!!!!

Look this over: https://youtu.be/zKzjhp-yDkE Your answer is in there

It is the video version of the doc I produced 4-5 years ago when I was working at ShopBot. Maybe the tech support guys should read their provided docs.
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com
    Servo Controller Upgrades
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1

"We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them"
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Campbell View Post
    Look this over: https://youtu.be/zKzjhp-yDkE Your answer is in there

It is the video version of the doc I produced 4-5 years ago when I was working at ShopBot. Maybe the tech support guys should read their provided docs.
    Best I can tell I’ve done all of this except for the insulated standoff, and the design of the whole machine makes it pretty hard to keep the flex hose from touching some part of the machine — especially the cords that plug into the spindle.

Where do I find a standoff?