Thread: Control software V3.8.44 Questions and compatibility

Default Control software V3.8.44 Questions and compatibility

I have been considering updating my control software from V 3.6.xx to the newest version. Major thing holding me back is compatibility with the SBLink. Has anyone upgraded to the latest, who is using SBLink for a living, had problems with SBLink working? If there are any incompatibilities, that is a show-stopper for me as I do a lot of work with Thermwood eCabinets and SBLink. I know the literature says it works, but I'm much more interested in feedback from real life people, making a real life living with their machine and can't afford to be a beta tester. Down time because of incompatibilities is not an option for me.

My machine is a 2009 PRSAlpha 96x60. The control computer is NOT connected to the internet, so no anti-virus stuff or automatic OS upgrades. I'm running Windows 7.0 Pro 64-bit on a Acer All-In-One computer. Everything works very well right now and I REALLY don't want to go backwards.

Thanks for any feedback!!

Don
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

Don...
    If you were going to upgrade to a new computer and controller card and wanted to see what whiz-bang features have been popped in over the last few years, I would say go for it. Because I know you make a living with the machine, I would then say that you have nothing to gain and everything to loose. Walk away, blow the dust out and be happy.

Brady's "last known working" version is 3.5.18. Mine with the link is 3.6.18, right before the keypad movement got screwed up. 3.6.44 is ok, but the keypad is to "soggy"
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com
    Servo Controller Upgrades
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1

"We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them"
    Albert Einstein

Hi Gary. Glad to see you're still alive and well!!!

I new if you responded that would be your response. You and I have had this conversation in the past and I totally understand and RESPECT your input on this. I tend to lean that way too.

The reason I'm, maybe considering it, is because I volunteer teach (and sometimes a paid substitute teacher) at the local highschool woodshop and they are thinking about upgrading their shopbot to the latest control software. They look to me to provide a lot of teaching, guidance and direction to the students and teacher to show them how to program and operate the CNC. If I'm running my machine on a much older version, I'm not sure I would I be adding the most value I could to their learning the CNC if I'm way behind.

So, I'm kinda torn on what to do. I know I need to continue to have a machine that works to make a living, at least for awhile. I am considering semi-retiring in the March/April time frame. I would be a scaling back my business work and spend more time with the highschool kids (an hour or two a day). My body breakdown because of kidney cancer last year has made this line of work more physically difficult on a day to day basis.
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

Don,
    I'll mirror some of Gary's comments.

When I was on the road as an SB tech I would often get asked if the customer should update the control software to the latest version. I would then ask them how the tool was performing during production. Was it reliable? Did it lose COM a lot? etc. If their response was, "No - it's been working fine." - Then my response would be to just leave it alone and tell them they weren't missing any real functionality by upgrading. (Which is true...there isn't anything new under the sun worth upgrading for) - There were a few times I got called back and had them install an older version because the newer version was problematic.

The cardinal rule here is...If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

If you are going to be "The ShopBot Guy" per se, for this school & responsible for making sure the thing is functioning properly, just use a version that works. Whatever is the most reliable version that YOU have deemed good - roll with that. You are not short-changing anyone by not updating them to the latest control software; in fact, you are doing 'the highest good for all concerned' by maintaining something that is reliable and of known good quantity. The only caveat here is if the tool is under 2 years old, go with the latest version because it works better on the newer cards.

I run 3.5.18 because I have literally run my tool non-stop for well over 100 hours at a time on gigantic relief panels - without skipping a beat. I can stop the tool and insert a command without it slamming the Z down or puking on resume and the arrow keys work on my large gantry tool as you would expect. The newer software mimics the sign of the times with the lowest common denominator getting the most attention - the HandiBot and Desktop in this case, which flips the proverbial bird to the big tools & causes them to plunge the Z no less than .375" down if you breathe on the PgDn key...(.SBD : SELECT CASE Desktop [packet size=large]....CASE Gantry Tool [packet size=small]....) but I digress...

For you're moneymaker tool - if you are pleased with how it works on a day to day basis - leave it alone!!! When you find a good combo, stick with it. I have the latest control card and tried the latest software (really only to try the indexer like a lathe since it will spin - but is useless with no torque) - and my machine was less reliable than the old card, USB to Serial converter and 3.5.18 - so there it sits. The winning combo - for my tool anyway. If you're making coin and the machine is running to your satisfaction - just leave it as is...

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com