Thread: Finishing MDF with Textures

Default Finishing MDF with Textures

After routing, more creative work can be done to bring the piece to life.. Texturing is one of those techniques. On this one I started by banging the border with a scrap of wood. Then using a mean, ugly rasp easing up the edges. To increase the look of hammered copper I applied a few carpet tacks and slopped on a coat of texture. Textures of all kinds never look right with one coat. They most often look best after three coats. They are easy to sand so don't be too concerned while laying them down.

The body of the panel was reduced in thickness with a rough rotary sander using a jabbing technique along with a few smart blows with a ballpein hammer. But the important part of the background was applying a neutral brown. Other darker shades applied with a rag. Loosely scuff them on. If you don't like it, re-paint the base tan and start over. It's an experiment. That's how we learn.

The R, as you can imagine, was a pain to smooth out. Lots of standing and coating with shellac. And more sanding. The finish was an automotive copper and a clear coat.

For me, it's fun not knowing what you will end up with. You've got to fail. Every now and again you will come up with a technique that will last a lifetime.

Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg R.jpg (232.1 KB, 620 views)

Quote Originally Posted by joe View Post
    After routing, more creative work can be done to bring the piece to life.. Texturing is one of those techniques. On this one I started by banging the border with a scrap of wood. Then using a mean, ugly rasp easing up the edges. To increase the look of hammered copper I applied a few carpet tacks and slopped on a coat of texture. Textures of all kinds never look right with one coat. They most often look best after three coats. They are easy to sand so don't be too concerned while laying them down.

The body of the panel was reduced in thickness with a rough rotary sander using a jabbing technique along with a few smart blows with a ballpein hammer. But the important part of the background was applying a neutral brown. Other darker shades applied with a rag. Loosely scuff them on. If you don't like it, re-paint the base tan and start over. It's an experiment. That's how we learn.

The R, as you can imagine, was a pain to smooth out. Lots of standing and coating with shellac. And more sanding. The finish was an automotive copper and a clear coat.

For me, it's fun not knowing what you will end up with. You've got to fail. Every now and again you will come up with a technique that will last a lifetime.

Nice work as always. Joe